Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just started on HRT and I have a question  (Read 1197 times)

Mikkie

Just started on HRT and I have a question
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »

Hello to everyone  :) I've just started on HRT and the GP prescribed Evorel 50 patches and medroxyprogesterone 10mg.  The GP was not very clear when trying to explain when to take the medroxyprogesterone 10mg but I think he said that I should take it for 12 days every 28 days.  When should I start taking it?

Dancinggirl

Re: Just started on HRT and I have a question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Start with the patches which you will use all the time and then after 16 days start the 12 days of the progesterone. About 2-3 days after you finish the 12 days of progesterone you should get a withdrawal bleed for a few days. This is a typical sequential HRT regime and your GP has given you a very good combination of hormones that are likely to work very well. There may be some side effects at first as it can take around 3-6 months for any HRT to settle.  Let us know how you get on. DGx

Mikkie

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:31 PM »

Thank you so much for that information Dancing girl, it is really helpful.  I have been on the patches for about 10 days now and feeling a bit better moodwise, although still having hot flushes which are mainly at night and disturb my sleep,  :)but I also have few during the day  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »

Hi Mikkie

:welcomemm: from me too!

It also depends where you are in menopause. If he told you to take it for only half the month I presume you are not yet at menopause ie have had a period within the last 12 months? Also I wonder how old you are?

If you started it randomly due to irregular cycles ( normal for peri-menopause) then you will get the withdrawal bleed as Dancinggirl says but you may also sometimes get bleeding at the "wrong" time if you own hormone cycle kicks in sometimes.

I hope it works for you and it sorts out whatever symptoms you are trying to eliminate. :)

Hurdity x

Mikkie

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for your reply :) I am 50 and typically had a period every 3-4 months for the last year.  My symptoms are, low mood, anxiety, hot flushes and vaginal atrophy so hoping to eliminate some of the symptoms :(