Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Santander scam  (Read 5551 times)

Pennyfarthing

Santander scam
« on: November 03, 2016, 04:31:38 PM »

Hubby got a text to his mobile phone today supposedly from Santander who we do bank with. "We are conducting a fraud check. Did you attempt the following transaction £2600 Amazon UK?  If Yes reply Y, if no call 0843 289 7034. ".

He was rushing around between jobs and dashed in for 10 min lunch break and that came through and he said "oh no" and without thinking was going to ring it.  I said it looked dodgy and was just going into town anyway and would be right next to Santander so I would check. The girl immediately said it was a scam so beware ladies. I think they reckon on people panicking or rushing around like hubby was.

Ju Ju

Re: Santander scam
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »

Shows how easy it can be to be scammed. Easy to react in haste when in a hurry. Be suspicious and check as you did. Only ring the banks telephone number, and if in response to speaking to someone on the phone, ring on a different phone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 05:09:03 PM »

Thanks.  I bin anything even from Banks we are with  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »

Talking of scams, I have received an emailed invoice for my supposed membership for a monthly music app to the tune of monthly payments of over £23. Not thinking clearly due to illness, I clicked on where it said I could cancel within 14 days. This just showed an error. There were other means of communicating by email. Fortunately, my normal thinking brain clicked in. Showed DH who pointed out it was just an invoice not a receipt, so ignore. Checked bank accounts just in case. All fine. Mentioned to DD, who said she'd received that email. Ignore was her advice. Just shows how vulnerable you can be when not at your best. It would have been easy to email them and leave myself open maybe.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:41:46 PM »

Talking of scams, I have received an emailed invoice for my supposed membership for a monthly music app to the tune of monthly payments of over £23. Not thinking clearly due to illness, I clicked on where it said I could cancel within 14 days. This just showed an error. There were other means of communicating by email. Fortunately, my normal thinking brain clicked in. Showed DH who pointed out it was just an invoice not a receipt, so ignore. Checked bank accounts just in case. All fine. Mentioned to DD, who said she'd received that email. Ignore was her advice. Just shows how vulnerable you can be when not at your best. It would have been easy to email them and leave myself open maybe.
I got a similar invoice this week at work. Initially concerned but my colleagues  had received  the same so deleted it.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:55:45 PM »

If I hadn't been poorly, I wouldn't have been upset. I hate the fact that my email was used. It's abusive.