Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lost my job today because menopause  (Read 6885 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Lost my job today because menopause
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 03:50:50 PM »

I don't think that you can be 'sacked' due to being ill!!!!

Do you not have a Union in your workplace?  I think there may be a claim for unfair or constructive dismissal here.  What procedures were in place - what support did you get? 

Michelle46

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »

So sorry to hear about your job. I had to give up my job 10 months ago I didn't have a choice. I've had a terrible struggle but I got myself a new part time job 7 weeks ago. I still have a lot going on but the difference now is I've realised I have to ride this out it's going to go and I have no disease. Unfortunately I now possibly could have coelic disease or very low iron. Being tested on Monday.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »

Michelle - let us know how you get on? maybe in a separate thread?

Binbon2

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »

I have had a nice relaxing day, catching up on The Missing, reading the paper and having a couple of walks.
I heard that my boss told my team that I wasn't coming back as I was very sick and was concentrating on getting better - no mention of the fact that they had dismissed me!
Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. I am going to enjoy spending the extra time with my kids and hubby. I am lucky in that we can just about manage on hubby's wage as long as we are careful. And I shall let fate take its course and see where it leads me.

Michelle46, sorry to hear you have found the workplace tough too. I hope the new part time job works out for you.

CLKD - unfortunately and amazingly employers can sack due to ill health. They have to be careful and show that they have followed the correct procedure - i.e. advising from the start of sickness that your job is at risk, consulting with occupational health to help make reasonable adjustments. If they are unable to get you back into work then they are entitled to terminate your contract due to medical capability.

Elsie001 - glad to hear your reduced hours helped

peri - fingers crossed for you - it is a horrible feeling trying to hang in there when you feel ill. I tried to work through the insomnia/low ferritin for several weeks, which wasn't fun.

Dawncam - I have always been a worker too, taking little time off apart from pregnancy related issues, so I know how you feel.

Thanks again all for your thoughts and comments - helps to know it isn't just me

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »

I am so sorry to hear this Binbon2. However you are still young and sounds like you are looking at this positively and especially since you can manage financially. Perhaps time to look at what you want to do and see if you can become self-employed at something that interests you or you can develop a new skill or training?

I hope it works out for the best for you and you find a way to make the most of this - seeing it as a new opportunity :)

Hurdity x
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:21:52 AM by Hurdity »

Dorothy

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 09:49:44 PM »

Sending you hugs Binbon2.  I hope this unexpected time out will enable you to rest, find a way of managing your symptoms that works for you, and think about where you would like your future to go.

Very best wishes x

dulciana

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »

Binbon, more or less the same thing happened to me, nearly five years ago.  My ability to do the "stop-gap" job that I'd had for more than 6 years had plummeted, due to meno symptoms.  Eventually, I ended up hiding in the receptionists' office, in tears, because I knew I'd reached the end of the line there; that night, I had what Hubby described as almost a nervous breakdown. (I must have been bad - I didn't even realise that was how I looked.)  Next day, I saw the doctor, who advised sick leave on grounds of stress.  I never went back to that job.  Instead, I went back into the line I had originally trained in and am soooooo glad that I did.   I am having (to quote a well-known song!) "the time of my life" now, because while one door closed, another door opened.  Good luck!!!  There is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Dulciana   :foryou:

Chris19

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 10:22:09 AM »

This is a shame but we are more than our jobs and work doesn't have to define us.  It may be for the best as you have time to reassess what's important and hopefully find the right way for you to manage your symptoms. 

Big hugs

Ms Saucy

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 12:23:24 AM »

I'm sorry to hear this honey.
I know when I was 48, now 53 and peri hit me it was major tough. I worked as a nurse in the safeguarding children's team, my kids were young teenagers and my marriage in trouble.
It was a hard, hard time........if you cam reassess then do.....always a new chapter waiting to be started in the book of life x

Binbon2

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »

Thanks all - great advice

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »

Make a list of your skill base as well as the job you would really like to do!

Have you hobbies that can keep you busy until you hit on something suitable?  We have a thread on hobbies etc. somewhere here  :D

Let us know!

Binbon2

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »

Thanks CLKD.
The skill base is a good idea. I'm not sure what job I would like to do at the moment.

I haven't spent much time on hobbies recently. I do like to read, so will probably do more of that. I was also thinking of doing a daily chat with my mum and writing it up as a book of her life.

Seaself

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »

So sorry :(

I only work 2.5 hours per day, 5 days a week and I'm regularly tempted to leave as I find it so overwhelming to mix with lots of other people.
Pages: 1 [2]