Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: What's your problem??  (Read 5212 times)

breeze

What's your problem??
« on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »

I expect there are already threads on this subject but I was just wondering how many of you have husbands, partners, children etc., who cannot relate or understand your anxiety/stress.

My husband just says 'stop worrying, you think too much' and 'just get on with your life and relax'

Well okay, that's that sorted then. NOT ::) :(

Scampi

Re: What's your problem??
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:39:57 PM »

I have lots of the symptoms of social anxiety (not formally diagnosed though) - I hate making phone calls, meeting new people (I was very brave - for me - a couple of weeks ago and joined my local Slimming World group - I spent the whole of the first meeting trying not to panic or cry), I don't go into shops on my own just to browse (I'm ok in big shops if I definitely have something to buy), I won't eat in a restaurant on my own unless I have absolutely no option (I've even gone out and bought Boots sandwiches to eat in my hotel room rather than eat a meal alone in the restaurant, despite it being paid for!) ... you get the picture.

My husband simply cannot understand it - he just can't get his head round it and often says "what's the worst that could happen if you do xyz?" - where shall I start!!   :-\

I know it must be hard for anyone who doesn't suffer from any sort of anxiety to understand, but it's hard living without the understanding too.  :(

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

DH gets impatient when I seek alternative means to going up and down escalators and stairs in high and wide open spaces, like in shopping malls and the long, long escalators underground in London. Same problem with swimming out of my depth. Facing it doesn't solve things or make it easier. The problem is that it isn't logical, but then what phobia is. I think not being logical challenges him, but my reaction is deal with it as I have to. It just is.

Other than that, he has boundless patience with my health issues. I've just unearthed my diary of 11 years ago of the round the world trip on a shoe string we did for 6 months. I was going through peri menopause and worsening symptoms of IBS, but DH really looked after me and I, him (well first night camping he fell off the air mattress and did his back in! I mean, really! How do you do that? Guess who became very efficient at striking camp?) We really just had each other for those months and it brought us closer.

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »

Mine said, ,"What have you got to be anxious about?" I said it wasn't something I can control, it just happens. However, I have to say it seldom bothers me much these days, for which I'm very grateful. My mum was a mess with it! I've observed a few ladies of my age, who were obviously struggling when out & about. Felt very sorry for them.

breeze

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:56:01 AM »

I'm not too bad in social situations and being out and about.  My main problem is not coping is everyday stresses and strains.  I over blow them in my mind until I start to feel ill.  Everything seems to be a problem.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »

It's our age.  Fortunately Himself is sympathetic. Otherwise  :bang: :bang: :bang:

I tell people to think back, how did they feel when they took exams or their Driving Test: 1st Interview, Finals ……. it's kinda like that but it doesn't go away.  For me I have no where to dissipate any anxiety surges.

star35

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:38:41 PM »

Mine is anxiety, can be absolutely fine one minute and then anxiety just comes for no reason. DH just dosent understand he is patient and apologizes for not being able to understand.