Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: post menopause pink discharge  (Read 4308 times)

angilee

post menopause pink discharge
« on: November 09, 2016, 08:04:40 PM »

Hi Ladies,
A few months ago I noticed a slight pink discharge when wiping...it has happened 3 or 4 times in those months. GP referred me to clinic for a transvaginal ultrasound and the tests came back normal. My GP said she could see changes inside which I presume to mean thinning of the vaginal walls? I still have no answer for why this is happening and stressing out over my smear test in a couple of weeks..could this be vaginal atrophy? anyone else here had anything similar?

Tinkerbell

Re: post menopause pink discharge
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »

Are you not on any topical oestrogen? I think you can get vaginal bleeding from untreated VA.
I would go and see your doctor before attempting to have a smear test.

Hurdity

Re: post menopause pink discharge
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 12:01:33 PM »

Hi angilee

if you are not taking any HRT and are well post-menopause then vaginal atrophy is very very likely and as Tinkerbell says this can cause vaginal bleeding - usually though due to "trauma" ie sex (!) or insertion of anything like Vagifem applicators etc, because the vaginal walls have thinned so much more fragile and susceptible to damage. Great that you have been checked out and all is OK but how unhelpful of your doc just to say there are changes! I mean didn't s/he explain further and offer you treatment? I had similar pinkish discharge/spotting after sex which after investigation was fine but I am on HRT - the doc said mine was probably due to a cervical ectropion.

Yes I agree - get yourself some vagifem or estriol cream asap to plump up your tissues in advance. Not wishing to be intrusive or personal but if you haven't had anything inserted up there for a while, then I would also gently get used to that yourself before your appointment - to stretch the tissues so that it is less uncomfortable - as well as using vagifem/estriol.

Hurdity x