Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil question  (Read 5509 times)

Mojo61

Mirena coil question
« on: November 09, 2016, 07:03:09 AM »

I've been on HRT since Feb (I am 4 years post meno) Started with evorel conti which caused bleeding, went on to evorel sequi but still having random bleeding, put on kliovance tablets, still bleeding so sent for a scan and biopsy due to thickened lining - all fine - consultant suggested fitting a mirena coil with separate oestrogen (either patches or tablets) and I have an appointment with the practice nurse at the end of Nov to discuss this and hopefully she will refer me on for this as it isn't available at the surgery. I'm still bleeding roughly every 2 weeks for about 3-4 days.

I also have awful anxiety and I'm taking 20mg citalopram for this which is helping but I'm still bad. My question is: what is causing the bleeding and if progesterone is sedating then will my sleep be affected once I'm not longer taking it orally? My sleep is bad as it is, I don't think I could cope with it getting worse.

Also I feel very sick in the mornings, the nurse thinks it might be hormonal, will the new regime help with that?

Sorry for all the questions but I really am at my wits end now. Thank you.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:04:50 AM by Mojo61 »

Tinkerbell

Re: Mirena coil question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »

I had a Mirena fitted in April and use Estrogel.
Although I don't feel sedated during the day I have slept better since and sleep right through the night...something I wasn't doing before I had it.
I don't feel nauseous on this regime.

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »

Hi Mojo61
I'm 8 years post meno (surgical).  Until recently I had a Mirena & Evorel 25 patches, had that for 5 years and I can honestly say I felt the best I'd ever been on it.  Didn't even notice the coil was there, and the patches were fine.
Don't know if it's coincidence but I slept like a baby!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »

Hi Mojo61 - there are lots of scare stories about the Mirena but it is a favourite for many gynaes as it sorts out the many problems women have with bleeding.  The excessive bleeding you are getting will probably be down to the womb lining building up to much and possibly polyps or fibroids but the Mirena will usually prevent and reduce all these issues.

When I had a Mirena, in post meno, I did find I became a bit sedated for the first few months so slept really well. 

I would follow the doctors advice, start with a low dose of oestrogen in the first few weeks and I suspect you will feel much better after a few weeks.
Good luck  DG x

elsie001

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »

I got my mirena coil fitted 14 months ago.  I definitely felt quite sedated during the first few months which was quite a thrill having suffered from insomnia for over a year prior to that!  Sleep still much improved but less zombie-like in the afternoons now.

I don't regret getting the coil fitted.  But a word of warning, some people (me!) bleed for much longer than just a few months after fitting - my periods had been very, very heavy prior to having the coil fitted.

Ms Saucy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »

Hi there.
I have my second mirena in and I'm now 53...... awesome no periods for three years.
I also take Citralopam at 40mg daily and have for three years almost....20 wasn't enough so I moved up in 10mg doses.....
Max is 60 I think.
Hugs Ms Saucy xx

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »

I think you either get on with the Mirena coil or you don't.  I wonder if the new lower dose Jaycee coil might be a good option for those who either don't do well with the Mirena or feel reluctant to take the plunge?

I was OK with the Mirena for contraception until my own hormones levels dropped so I actually feel better now with Oestrogel and very low dose Utrogestan but I am an unusual case because I am severely intolerant to all forms of synthetic progesterone.  I really wish I had tried the Mirena with Oestrogel because it might have worked better than the patches because I absorb the gel better and I might have been able to keep my oestrogen levels high enough to stop the progesterone becoming too dominant. 

I can't risk even the Jaycee but it sounds like a great option for others. 

Mojo61

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »

Thank you so much ladies, you have really helped with my questions. I'm just hoping that this new regime might help me sleep better, have less anxiety and less nausea. I will keep you all updated :D

Mojo61

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 06:10:37 PM »

Hi there.
I have my second mirena in and I'm now 53...... awesome no periods for three years.
I also take Citralopam at 40mg daily and have for three years almost....20 wasn't enough so I moved up in 10mg doses.....
Max is 60 I think.
Hugs Ms Saucy xx

Thank you! I am considering an increase of the citalopram but I'm frightened of the side effects. I was previously on 10mg for 3 months and then increased to 20mg. I'm much better than I was last winter but I'm still not 100% and think about the anxiety for the majority of each day. Strangely when I went on holiday a few weeks back it completely disappeared for the fortnight - it was absolute paradise as I've had this for almost a year now. But as soon as I got back home to the UK it returned. So upsetting!

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »

Hi Mojo61

If it helps at all, I've had the Mirena fitted this afternoon and can't stop yawning!

I too, suffer from anxiety and take an AD which I've had to increase due to my anxiety getting worse.

I'm hoping that the Mirena will help my hormonal fluctuations caused by peri!

Mojo61

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 07:08:05 PM »

Thank you. Hopefully it will help with my sleep, which is horrendous!

Did it hurt having it fitted?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »

I had gas and air and couldn't feel a thing.
My nerves always get the better of me with things like that so opted for the easiet way.
They numbed my cervix which was a strange sensation maybe uncomfortable. Sometimes apparently they measure the uterus, but for me they didn't, just went straight to insertion which was like a twangy feeling but no pain at all. Still no pain now either.
Hope this helps.

Dawncam

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »

Hi Mis71mum - is it possible the gas and air made you sleepy this afternoon? I'm about to have a Mirena and really don't want to feel tired all day - I can have plenty of that with utrogestan!

Also, is it usual to be sedated/numbed before insertion? I had a Mirena fitted about 3/4 years ago but they didn't do any of that.

Dxx

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 10:15:39 PM »

I did feel a bit sleepy/groggy so think it was a mixture of both gas and air and Mirena hormones that made me sleepy. After I had a nap, felt much better but couldn't stop yawning. Again that has passed too and feel okay tonight.
I think it's normal for them to numb cervix, not sure about the gas and air. But in the past when I've had cameras in bladder and dye inserted into my Fallopian tubes,I've nearly passed out afterwards. Because of that, I decided to take safest easiest option.
I had mine fitted in hospital though rather than GP surgery.
Hope this helps.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 10:21:26 PM »

I had mine fitted seven months ago and had no pain relief, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!