Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Period Pain  (Read 4617 times)

Megamind

Period Pain
« on: November 08, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »

Does period pain get worse during peri? My periods have got closer together and although I rarely suffered with period pains before, for the last six months or so, I now suffer with really pad period pain. Did anyone else find this happened?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Period Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »

I had awful painful periods from age 12 until I went onto The Pill at 16.  What do you take for the pain?

Megamind

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »

Yes I have friends who have always suffered badly as does my daughter but it never really effected me until now. I take paracetomol or ibupofren and when at home, I use those wheat bags that you put in the microwave. It also makes me feel really tired and drained.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »

Oh I remember that excessive tiredness really well!

Melly

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »

I used to get painful cramps, abdo pain, during my period when I was a teenager.  Then they happily went away.

Now I'm 43 and the last few cycles those same pains have returned, along with my cycles coming every 36 days from 28.  And instead of just happening, my period will take a few days to get going, if that makes sense & then tends to linger to completion.   

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »

Does period pain get worse during peri? My periods have got closer together and although I rarely suffered with period pains before, for the last six months or so, I now suffer with really pad period pain. Did anyone else find this happened?
Not for me. As my periods became less frequent and lighter, the pain all but disappeared.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 11:35:14 PM »

Mine did Megamind. I suffered with dreadful period pains up until I had my first child. They stopped up until I had my second child and then restarted again. In peri I've found that they have differed from cycle to cycle and I don't get them at all with anovulatory cycles.

My daughter suffers terribly with them too, she is completely wiped out. I organised Mefenamic acid for her (it was Ponstan in my day) and that and hot water bottles on her tummy and back with warm drinks ease it a little. I haven't had them for over a year now and do not miss them!

Megamind

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The period pain has eased off a bit today thankfully but now I'm starting to dread every month now I'm getting pain with it.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »

Take medication a few days prior to when the bleed is expected  :-\

Elizabethrose

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:27:38 PM »

Megamind, have you tried mefenamic acid? It really works brilliantly well. It's suggested that it can be used just before the period is beginning to start as CLKD suggested, however, my daughter and I used it just as acute medication. Sometimes it takes until the second dose to kick in. I'm not someone who takes meds unnecessarily and never take OTC tabs at all, but if it allows you to manage the pain and therefore your life is it worth giving it a try? It's an NSAID like ibuprofen.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »

'when expected'  :-\ or immediately you get the start of bleeding

Elizabethrose

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »

Megamind, it was marketed as Ponstan but don't know that it is anymore. You have to get it on prescription and insist that NOTHING ELSE WORKS to the GP otherwise they may say 'take a couple of paracetamol': for serious period pain that would be like munching Smarties.

I had a serious run in with a locum GP once when I tried to get an emergency repeat script for my daughter who was weeping at home scrunched up in a ball. He actually said 'well how bad can the pain be?' I told him to imagine someone squeezing his testicles extremely hard whilst someone else was kicking him in the back - he wrote the script without another word!! Jeez!

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 05:22:25 PM »

Are your periods heavier as well as closer together Megamind? If so that would explain the period pain although I gather this does not always follow!

All the treatments for heavy bleeding are listed here including Mefenamic Acid:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Periods often become shorter just before peri-menopause - it is one of the features of the "late reproductive stage" - the last stage before periods become very irregular and you start to skip them or the cycle gets longer (again). I can see how difficult it would be to diagnose peri-menopause when your periods had always been irregular - but presumably once they started getting longer again, and you started experiencing sympotms such as flushes and sweats.

Hurdity x

Megamind

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »

Ha ha Elizabethrose!!

Can teenagers take it? My daughter gets really bad period pain and has done since the moment her periods started. I might take her to the Dr to get her prescribed with that. My Dr's are normally good with giving you whatever you ask for.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 05:24:09 PM »

Well done Elizabethrose!  Pain levels vary so what a stupid question to ask and a wonderful reply.  Wish that I were that quick off the mark  ;D

Himself is ROFLOL!  ;)

Get your daughter to a GP!  Pronto.  My Mum told me that our GP would tell me to 'have a baby' - yeah, right - at 13/14/15, wouldn't that have gone down well  >:(
Pages: [1] 2