Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mental Health Awareness  (Read 1590 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Mental Health Awareness
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:10:42 PM »

...... launched across the UK from yesterday.  Ant and Dec paused a programme for 2 mins. 'talking together'.

On Sat. DH and I was in a scruffy cafe where a lad of about 8 was wandering.  He had a lap top and when we looked across the woman at the table: ? his mother/step ? : never engaged with him nor took her thumb nor eyes off her gadget thingy.  She ate without taking her eyes off the screen.  The child ate a little then wandered off.

He left a door open and was told to shut it but didn't do so and the door wafted open ...... but he wasn't sent back to shut it properly  :-\.  The man was non-engaged apart from fetching the lad from the shop next door. 

It is something we see a lot of.  What's with not encouraging table-free time even if conversation doesn't flow?  No wonder our young people feel that they can't approach the adults around them  >:(

Weekends free?  Doing family stuff ....... without technology  :-\.  I have the habit of removing mobiles from hands if someone walks into me  ;D and the blank look I get is scary in that the owner has no idea how shut off from surroundings they are.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:16:02 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Mental Health Awareness
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:14:53 PM »

The presenters [Ant and Dec] stopped the Saturday night show halfway through, announcing they were going to “pause” proceedings for a moment.

The duo then invited viewers to forget the competing acts and speak with their loved ones, as part of a new mental wellness campaign.

**Britain Get Talking

The five-year programme is also backed by mental health charities Mind, YoungMinds and SAMH in Scotland.

Over the next month ITV will air advertisements featuring some of its best-known stars, who will use silence to encourage those at home to talk to one another.

Carolyn McCall, ITV chief, said that she hopes the campaign will help make mental wellness a priority in people's lives.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:16:50 PM »

However be careful who you choose.  My Mum told me "You don't want to be depressed" and "don't lead your husband a dance like your father led me" ........ so I haven't from that day in 1989 to this told her much about my health.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »

Hello ladies.

I know we all worry about the mental health problems that exist in our modern world but these conditions are as old as the hills. I'd like to think that technology can be a help as much as a hindrance depending on how it's used.

CLKD -  I thought you would be a fan of technology and spending time on social media as you are such a prolific contributer to MM.

Wishing everyone well in spite of all the distractions lol!

K.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 03:28:18 PM »

I agree Teresa.  I find peace in our garden despite the sparrows  ::) as I have worked for many years in the earth, planting, trimming, nurturing. 

Whilst I was growing up friends talked all the while about stuff but nothing really deep.  Bullying in the playground wasn't allowed, teachers would step in.  I was 'attacked' on days we did cooking by the boys who would nick my tin of buns for example and eat them all  :'(.  None of the teachers stepped in as it was out of school, I would have to cook twice the amount in Class in order to have extra for the boys.  [long story short]. 

I suppose I was a good cook  ;D

I find music can help my moods.  When depressed I put violin concertos on so that I get to cry out my feelings.  When happy I sing .......

Mental health issues aren't conditions, they are considered by the medical profession and those that suffer as illnesses, which can be dangerous.

Social media isolates people.  They spend more time alone or glued to their gadgets and are less able to communicate face-2-face.  Now there is a report about gaming becoming an addiction  :-\

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:29:29 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »

Had I not removed the mobile phone she would have walked straight into me  :o ........... and I wasn't prepared to take the risk of being knocked over! because she was completely unaware of her surroundings.  A few days B4 that incidence a girl had her mobile snatched whilst walking by a lad on a cycle who raced up behind - again she was totally unaware.