Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Future proofing?  (Read 5169 times)

bramble

Future proofing?
« on: November 04, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »

This may sound a bit morbid but has anyone made arrangements for their future - wills, POAs, funeral plans?
Program on the tele made me think about this.
I've done a will but need to update it.

Bramble

Pennyfarthing

Re: Future proofing?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »

This may sound a bit morbid but has anyone made arrangements for their future - wills, POAs, funeral plans?
Program on the tele made me think about this.
I've done a will but need to update it.

Bramble

NO. Every year we say We will and every year we don't get round to it. I keep thinking it's the sensible thing to do and then I read reports in the papers about people who make it very clear in their wills where they want their money to go and who they don't want to get their money.  Then relatives contest the will and they get the money.  That can't be right!

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »

We had will made up a few years back. But, hubby refuses to "purchase funeral plan." I think it would be a good idea.  Did you see the woman who dug grave bramble?

We actually fancy a "green" option when the time comes.  Actually saw pictures of a "pod" instead of a coffin. Looked gross, but actually seemed quite practical.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »

Yes, we have kept our wills updated, ever since our children were babies. When we travelled around the world 11 years ago for 6 months, we gave our children power of attorney just in case (and were actually involved in a potentially fatal traffic accident while away, so it could have been needed). We have left that in place.

While doing a bereavement course, we had to consider our own mortality and funerals and discuss it with our families, which actually was lovely, not morbid. It led to discussing how much we loved each other, saying those things that you which you had said after someone dies. And it was great fun discussing what music you want played at your funeral.

My Dad has purchased a funeral plan for himself, so that neither myself or my Mum have so much to do. If my Mum dies, he feels he would be able to cope with arrangements.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

Yep.  I have worn either an SOS bracelet or necklace as I'm keen to be a body donor - any parts that can be recycled, please do!

We are having our Wills updated.  First made in 2004 we have altered our plans and wishes in recent weeks.  We are also Power of Attorney to each other.

I am writing down who I want my prints, paintings, jewellery to go to in addition to the Will.  I will put tags on the back.

Haven't considered a Funeral Plan as we currently have enough to cover either of us.  Should we need 'care' we will need to re-consider.