Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Just been prescribed progesterone tablets.  (Read 3256 times)

suziq99

• GBX Marine
Just been prescribed progesterone tablets.
« on: November 03, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »

Having read loads of blurb about it looks like the tablets don't actually deliver much progesterone & cream is the best delivery method. Any hints or tips to boosting my natural levels or should I try talking the chemist into giving me the cream.

Dancinggirl

Re: Just been prescribed progesterone tablets.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:48:58 PM »

What have you been prescribed and why? Progesterone doesn't come as a cream!!!  DG x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »

Hi, been prescribed primulot nor ( I am in Spain ) womb linning has been building up & not shedding for a few months resulting eventually in a massive haemorrhage & serious anemia. Exploratory found a small polyp which was removed. I am 51

--
Edit by Admin
Commercial link removed
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:52:56 AM by Emma »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 10:14:04 PM »

Are you still getting periods?  You are likely to be peri menopause which means you are entering the menopausal phase when the ovaries slowly fail and this phase can last a few years before the periods finally stop.  Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  The progesterone pills will help to prevent the womb lining from building up. DG x

Dana

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 11:57:53 PM »

The site you have linked is just another one of those dodgy alternative therapy sites I'm afraid. If you check the information on it, it is run by a herbalist (not a medical doctor) whose raison d'être is to sell you stuff. It is not a legitimate medical site and should not be offering hormonal treatment, but that's the joys of the internet.

Have you been using a progesterone cream, along with estrogen, previous to all this? The progesterone creams are all compounded, and are not regulated or conventional HRT. If you have a uterus, and especially if you are using estrogen, you should never be using a progesterone cream, because there are no studies proving its effectiveness in opposing estrogen, meaning the lining could build up and eventually cause cancer. Considering your issues a progesterone cream is something you should definitely NOT be using.

The only options that should be used are micronised progesterone (ie Utrogestan or Prometrium) or one of the synthetic progestogens (ie norethisterone, medroxyprogesterone etc) or maybe a Mirena.

Primulot contains norethisterone, and from what I have gathered, women in your situation are usually prescribed norethisterone to do a good clean out. The micronised progesterone (Utrogestan/Prometrium) may not be strong enough to solve this initial issue, but may be okay to use once you have everything sorted out, but you would need to monitor it closely if you are prone to this problem.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

Brilliant post Dana - thank you for explaining things so well.  suziq99 - do take note of what Dana has told you  DG x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »

Thank you both, the link was just the first one I came to that mentions the cream. As you say, the joys of the internet. I was just generally reading the difference's between the cream & tablets hence the original question.

I was on Climen a few years ago which appeared to solve my flooding problem but not taken anything for about 3 years now & all was well until I started skipping periods & then had the great flood which knocked me out. I am still taking ( 7 months ) Iron tablets to recover from the anemia. I still have all my bits so to speak & a bit concerned about just taking the prog.  Climen is a mixture & suited me down to the ground but then I guess time rolls on & things change so may be just the norethisterone is the way to go.
Concerned that I am messing up 'natures way' & may be I should grim & bear it until my body sorts it's self out but of course if I am just going to have another massive haemorrhage that isn't really an option. Ho Hum..

Dana

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:44:24 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't really have any suggestions to offer other than to say that you appear to be getting the right medical treatment with the prescription for Primulot, so I'd stick with what your doctor is suggesting for now.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 06:05:40 PM »

Thanks Dana.