Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stopping hrt suddenly  (Read 2396 times)

Suzanne1967

Stopping hrt suddenly
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »

Hi

I'm 49 and been on estelle duet 4 years started menapayse vvv early 36 ! Had alm holistic stuff as I'm a nurse and was pretty anti hrt but really did need it 

Had to stop last Thursday just come off it' suddenly as bleeding so urgent scan smear biopsies etc

I'm posting as I feel awful crying palpitations nauseous nervous hot cold can't sleep angry scared horrendous !!!! Any advice xxxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Stopping hrt suddenly
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »

Hi Suzanne1967 - welcome to MM
Why anti HRT?  It's the best treatment for early menopause to prevent osteoporosis and heart disease. If you are still working the flushes and lack of sleep can be crippling so staying on HRT till at least the natural age of meno, which is 53-54, is very sensible and continuing till 60 and then reassessing might be wise.  I do hope you haven't been listening to all the scare stories in the press and from well meaning friends?

Are you on Elleste Duet conti?  If so, then it is not unusual to get some bleeding on a conti HRT and this does need to be investigated but this should not mean you need to stop the HRT.  If a scan showed some thickening of the womb lining or possibly a fibroid or polyp then treatment can be given to sort this.  I hope you've been told it is highly unlikely to be anything sinister?
The sudden withdrawal of oestrogen will make you feel awful - you poor thing.  I'd check whether you can simply start the HRT again.
I would possibly consider having a Mirena fitted after they have done the investigations as this will protect the womb lining better, it will often shrink and prevent polyps and fibroids, and you can simply use oestrogen as gel or patch separately to keep all the horrid meno symptoms under control and protect your health so you can keep working and enjoying life. 
As a nurse you have a busy and stressful time so being on top of your game is important.  Try not to worry, have your investigations and get back on some HRT as soon as possible  - ask about the Mirena with separate oestrogen - here is the link about this on this site - the info about the Mirena is at the bottom of the page:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Keep us posted  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

Hi Suzanne1967

:welcomemm:

I agree with Dancinggirl. You may well have an imbalance between oestrogen and progesterone so Mirena and separate oestrogen could be the best way forward after investigation. Is it possible that your cycle may have kickstarted again or were you without periods for several years before starting HRT? Do hope the result of your investigations reassure you that all is OK so that you can continue with a different HRT to enable you to function as you need to. 

Hurdity x :hug:

Suzanne1967

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »

Hi thank you both 🤔 I'm so struggling feeling sick angry sad tired  panic palpitations headache tearful memory 😩😩insomnia mobile phone going off begins my c section scar ! 🤔🤔..Also got estriol Pv today think it's daily ? Doesn't say 🙄🙄😳 don't want biopsies to be honest but am ok with scan .. No period for 4 years then last few months as stated on off bleeding 💞 Oh dear X thank you for responding X I never ever do public stuff like this but 

Suzanne1967

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:32 PM »

Hi Suzanne1967

:welcomemm:

I agree with Dancinggirl. You may well have an imbalance between oestrogen and progesterone so Mirena and separate oestrogen could be the best way forward after investigation. Is it possible that your cycle may have kickstarted again or were you without periods for several years before starting HRT? Do hope the result of your investigations reassure you that all is OK so that you can continue with a different HRT to enable you to function as you need to. 

Hurdity x :hug:

Ummmm does mirena coil pile weight on

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 11:42:54 PM »

No, I had my Mirena fitted last April and I have in fact lost a few pounds!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »

AS we age we need to eat less.  The menopause slows our metabolism so we tend to put on weight anyway.  The Mirena or any HRT can in theory help us to loose weight as it improve energy so allowing us to get more exercise.
The Mirena won't make you put on weight but you may find you need to eat less as the years go by to simply keep weight under control and that's true for both men and women. 
Don't worry about the scan and biopsies - I had all this done last year and it was only slightly uncomfortable and was over very quickly.  If your vaginal area is very atrophied (sore and dry) then do tell the doctors and they may use more local anaesthetic or give you a small bit of general anaesthetic. DG x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »

The exact same thing happened to me when I came off HRT because of irregular bleeding.  It was so scary and hadn't realised how much the hormones were keeping me on an even keel.

I'm trying the Mirena next as my mood suffers badly when my hormones fluctuate.  This will also help me fibroids, etc .  I've also read that it can be quite calming and sedating so anything is worth a try. 

Good luck