Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blood sugar dropping  (Read 5222 times)

matildamouse

Re: Blood sugar dropping
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »

Elsiebear I follow a low carb eating lifestyle and for us bananas are considered to be more high carbs and actually not recommended at all. As you are really suffering I suggest to test yourself regards your individual response reaction if you eat something with protein and not a banana prior to a show. If you want to continue with the banana, add a protein to your meal as well as it might help to prevent an abrupt bloodsugar drop after the spike which might be causing the unpleasant symptoms.

Elsiebear

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »

Thanks ... I am going to try other things as well as the bananas. I'm just so confused as to how much of anything I need to eat to make sure it lasts for a whole hour without dropping.for instant slices of turkey. Would I need 2 or 6 ??
 I can not explain how terrifying it is to feel it ( the drop)coming on knowing I still have say 15 mins left on stage . Once it starts I usually have 10 mins max before I feel very ill. It's very fast
I feel like as soon as I walk out on to stage I am stepping in a vast ocean with no way of getting to land ( land in this case is my security blanket of food)
I love my job and have done it all my life . I have never had a problem with food or drops before and it is totally freaking me out . I hope to God it calms down soon . I'm a mix of so upset and totally angry at my stupid body
X

Milamam

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »

Hi Elsiebear,
I am sure this can be tested via a glucose tolerance test where blood glucose levels are measured three times - before and after meals - to determine whether you have any discrepancies in how glucose from food is absorbed/used by the body. I think you should ask for such a test.
Milamam

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 05:19:17 PM »

Hi Elsiebear

Re slices of turkey - no need to be that precise. You've got to feel full and you have to reduce carbs especially sugar. If it is evening performances that it happens at then make sure you eat a meal with lots of protein until you are really full - at whatever time before you perform that you usually eat, or a really big late lunch (your main meal) at say 3 or 4 pm and a small snack an hour before - perhaps soup and/or banana as long as it doesn't affect your singing. Protein rich meals last way longer than an hour! Sounds like you might not be eating enough nor of the right food during the day if food only lasts an hour?

Have you been eating lots of quick release carbs and sugar rich foods over the past few weeks? If so this can make it worse as your body will be used to producing lots of insulin in response. If you change your diet so that you eat far fewer carbs as I suggested, then the reactive hypoglycaemia should be more controlled and you should find it occurs less often if you stick to the new way of eating.

I know exactly what you mean about the speed of it - like I said in my post - I can go from not even feeling hungry - to shaking dizzy and sweating - in a few minutes and I am not diabetic. Without revealing what I do I also have to be careful in certain situations regarding food so that the same thing does not occur. Once you know you have a tendency to it, then it becomes easier to manage - although it did take me by surprise at my exercise class a couple of weeks ago - and I had to stop and eat a small bit of muesli bar and wait until it kicked in. The idea is not to get to the stage where you need to eat because then glucose works quickest and of course is worse for spiking insulin  - so glucose tablets should be reserved for Type 1 diabetics really. In your situation in an emergency I don't suppose it is possible to take a quick one (glucose tab) if you are on view on stage the whole time?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 08:09:09 PM »

Glucose tablets are recommended for emergency use. Or Kendal Mint Cake  :sick02:  ;D

Why not contact professional performers/atheletes  to see how they cope with eating and activities? 
Pages: 1 [2]