Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Another uti  (Read 4915 times)

Peroxideblader

Another uti
« on: November 01, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »

Hello everyone..I'm in Peri stage and I'm seeing another doctor need week to get femoston. I hope to start it on my next period in 3 weeks but I have got all the symptoms of another uti this is after having 5 already this year. I'm resistant to most antibiotics due to 2 years on and off them as oesrcibed by a consultant for dental issues...so the one they do give me either doesn't shift it or I end up on one for 3 weeks and these antibiotics have awful side effects for me I get diarrhoea vomiting stomach pains and dizziness the whole time I'm on them..I am getting the doctor to test a wee sample next week it's the earliest appt they have but my long winded question is.....will hrt help stop all these urine infections as I've read the perimenopause can cause frequent uti"s due to the drop in oestrogen has anyone else found this and has hrt helped..thanks

Maryjane

Re: Another uti
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »

I have an embedded bio-film chronic UTI. Which you will have simply by the amount of UTIs you have had that keep coming back.

I also can't take the antibiotics. Yes systemic HRT and vagifem and ovestin without a doubt helps.

I am also seeing a nutritionist, you need to really sort your diet out also if it is not great.

No sugar, processed foods , gluten ....back to good basic fresh home cooked foods , I will also be taking probiotics amongst other things as our guts are very often linked to this also , as you have had so many short term antibiotics your guts will without a doubt be not working in harmony regards the good and bad bacteria , a poo sampleni have recently had done confirms all of the above.

There is so much to all of this , we are why we eat and this time of our lives more than ever.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »

Your GP should be sending your fresh urine sample to a Hospital Lab.  :bang: :bang: :bang: - you don't need to see a GP to arrange that!  You may have vaginal atrophy and NOT a urine infection.  Your Practice Nurse could do that tomorrow.  No need to wait for an appt. as a dip stick test won't tell you much at all.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »

The last 2 or 3 times the doctors sent my sample straight to the hospital labs like you said as their dip stick showed nothing..didn't know I could bypass the doctor though so ill ring the tactics tomorrow see if I can get in to see a nurse quicker but it'll problably still be Monday...when you say it could be vaginal atrophy not a uti...why is that...does it show with the same symptoms ...?.?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »

Very similar symptoms.  As oestrogen levels drop off the body dries, inside and out: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina ….. tissues become thinner = ithchiness.  Thin tissues in the vagina can cause urine infection-type symptoms.  So if your urine has been tested previously and come back negative? chances are, it will do so again.

Your GP should be able to prescribe treatment for vaginal atrophy which mimics infection-type symptoms.  It moistens the vagina and plumps up tissues which usually lessens the feelings of wanting to pee and the burning.
Have a read of the 'burning' thread too.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:10:47 PM »

Thanks for your reply...I don't have the itchy or burning down there I just need to wee even more than usual  ( I have an overactive bladder anyway ) I need to wee every half hour and about 6 or 7 times through the night and the lower tummy pain all the time...but I will mention it when I see doctor and maybe get in with the nurse before then to test the sample..

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »

The last 2 or 3 times the doctors sent my sample straight to the hospital labs like you said as their dip stick showed nothing..didn't know I could bypass the doctor though so ill ring the tactics tomorrow see if I can get in to see a nurse quicker but it'll problably still be Monday...when you say it could be vaginal atrophy not a uti...why is that...does it show with the same symptoms ...?.?
Once recently I tried to bypass the doctor and just leave a sample to be sent away but the receptionist  refused. Not practice policy and I would have to see a GP.

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:00:40 AM »

You're bladdernisnover active for a reason either low oestrogen/infection or both.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:32:43 AM »

I'm on vagifem for recurrent UTIs, which has really helped but I've recently started with the near constant need to pee, and when I've finished and go to get up I can feel more coming out

I seem to be forever checking out where the nearest loo is lately

X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »

UTI symptoms with no evidence of infection is probably urogenital atrophy.  Local oestrogen alongside systemic HRT should really help all your problems. Local oestrogen will restore the vaginal area and the urethra which is probably burning and sore due to oestrogen deficiency.  The systemic HRT will also help the bladder as well as all the meno symptoms.   
Have a look at the NICE guidelines - there is clear advice for the treatment of Urogenital atrophy and it might be good to show this to the GP.  Constant treatment of UTI type symptoms without a referral to a urologist is also a bit negligent as this should have been investigated - not keep giving you ABs, especially as they don't seem to work for you - also very negligent treatment by your GPs.
Drink lots of water - add half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda to some water a couple of times a day.  Avoid fruit juices, caffein, alcohol and anything acidic that will make your urethra burn when you pee.  Try some local vaginal moisturisers like Sylk as well - this will help get the flora balance back and help prevent infections taking hold.
Write down all your symptoms, concerns and questions to either read out or give to the GP when you see them.
  Keep us posted. DG x

Peroxideblader

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »

I've been weak bladdered since a child but 6 years ago I couldn't go 30 minutes withiut a wee and it was not to empty my bladder it was a vibrating detruser muscle which sends the brain the signal to wee...I've been to see 2 consultants one private they tested my bladder confirmed over active and I had 3 sessions of botox over 2 years it helped slightly but not enough to go through surgery and full anaesthetic every 8 months...I've tried the pills you name it...I've got at least 6 times a night to wee have done for about 15 years....got used to it now...but there is never pain and this time I'm in pain and can't even walk the dog on the beach for more than 20 minutes or I have to wee...so I've done the urologist route and I'm starting femoston 1/10 next month hopefully that is why I was asking if hrt might help...people are mentioning oestrogen cream but I can't use that with hrt tablets can I??

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »

Local oestrogen with full HRT will be fine.  You can use cream or the Vagifem pessaries. So ghastly to have this over active bladder.  I get up at least 3 times a night but I'm ok during the day - not sure why it's worse at night!!???
Hope HRt helps you.  Dg x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »

There is a hormone that should cut off the need to pee during the night but sometimes that goes 'wrong'.