Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Am I just lucky to skip the VA symptom but have almost everything else?  (Read 2527 times)

matildamouse

Just wondering whether some women never struggle with typical VA symptoms but have all the other "joys" of menopause like flushes, insomnia, low libido, fatigue, anxious, dry skin, etc. I am on Estradot 50mcg patches and conti Prometrium but my GP wants me to take Vagifem as well as she says it is common to have issues there which you might not even "diagnose" as VA. I have already started using it twice a week but was just wondering re this. I had no VA issues before HRT and also not now while on HRT. I am 53 and 2 years postmenopausal.

Maryjane

Re: Am I just lucky to skip the VA symptom but have almost everything else?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:58:47 AM »

My started at 47 , now 50 it is/has been at times hideous.

My mothers VA started at 65, and is now hideous.

So just because you have got this far I would definitely use the vagifem , as a preventative, the fact you have dry skin may mean it finds it way down below.

I haven't really answered your question but do take the vagifem as suggested by the GP.

Dana

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »

I've been post-menopausal for about 6 years and I've never had VA. Without HRT I would have very severe insomnia (with the associated anxiety and depression) and hot flushes. Well, they were the symptoms I had pre-HRT, but there could be others by now that I don't know about because I've been on HRT for most of that time.

I personally don't see the point of using something unless you have to. If you aren't feeling any of the effects of VA, why use a medication for it? Just because some women have VA doesn't mean all do, or will. It's just like some women will have anxiety and some won't. The ones that don't wouldn't use a medication for it. For women like you and me, maybe the Estradot is enough. My mother had VA, but then she never used HRT. Maybe if she'd been on HRT she wouldn't have needed the Vagifem.

If at some point you do start to experience problems you can start using it then. At the end of the day the decision is yours though.

Dawncam

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »

Hi matildamouse

I'm so glad you posted this as it's something that crossed my mind this week as I've been treating a case of, well not sure if it's thrush or VA. I think it's thrush as seems to have responded to that treatment. But it made me wonder about va. I had some mild va symptoms some years back when on elleste duet conti but nothing since starting transdermal hrt. Like you, I've had ALL the other symptoms except anxiety and now seem to have my hrt on a steady keel (fingers firmly crossed, I know it can suddenly go T Up!) anyway, like Dana, I'd be loathe to take something I don't actually need right now. As an add on, is it possible to suffer VA if your vag secretions are good?

Dxx

matildamouse

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »

Great responses thanks ladies.

I actually did have an irritable bladder in the past (months ago) with regards to increased frequency and it is much better on an increased dosage of hrt. And just weeks ago I had the excessive vaginal secretions....From yesterday I have a faint one-sided headache, nausea, period like cramping and singing ears today... wonder now re ? too much estrogen? But hot flushes are gone and I sleep so well and actually feel quite stable in all other ways...sigh. What a challenge to find that even keel! ::)

What is your current dosage of HRT Stellajane?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »

I have been lucky in not having hot flushes apart from an all-over glow a few years ago at a specific time in the evening.  It didn't last for many months.  VA began much later.  Fortunately my GP sorted it for me.

Anxiety has been a problem since age 3 so I was already on ADs etc.. 

Have a browse round.  Familaise yourself with the various threads etc., make notes, keep in touch.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

Hello matildamouse.

My trusty meno book lists all the possible meno symptoms but points out that not everyone gets them all  and goes on to say that ' some women don't get any '. Hmm.

I seem to have escaped drenching sweats, painful VA and bladder problems but I am plagued by anxiety and terrible jitters amongst other things. I am using Evorel 50 mcg patch atm but no topical oestrogen at all, mainly because I don't feel I need it.

Btw I don't get many muscle pains either but lately my left shoulder has felt a little stiff on waking. I wondered if this was the beginning of something like frozen shoulder but when I woke up yesterday my shoulder felt completely normal and I was pleased until I realised I was feeling very jittery instead. Sometimes you just can't win, can you!

Take care.

K.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »

I am one of those with bad VA symptoms that started 3.5 years before my last ever period. Apart from some bothersome palpitations at night, that I feel are hormonal related, I have had no other menopausal symptoms. I have had to fight to get the right treatment and getting systemic HRT for VA has been difficult as doctors don't seem happy to prescribe it for just VA, saying topical treatment is sufficient...it is not in everybody!
At times I was tempted to lie and say I was plagued by flushes all night just to get a prescription.
It just shows how different we all are.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:32:41 PM by Tinkerbell »

matildamouse

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »

It is so interesting how we all are in menopause with difference in the set of symptoms and even more different regards responses. After my blips last night I feel fine today so will carry on like this for the moment.

Kathleen, I hope your shoulder is still sorted as I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago. I wish it on nobody. It was pure HELL! Apparently lots of women have their first frozen shoulder in peri-menopause. So keep an eye on it and do not let it get worse before asking for treatment.