Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Should I go back on HRT????  (Read 4058 times)

renee

Should I go back on HRT????
« on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »

Bit confused as to what to do....I came off hrt patches 10 months ago. Iv been menopausal for 5 years and been on HRT different forms. Had a period in Feb then next one August, nothing since then. which is fine but the last 2 weeks Iv struggled with extreme tiredness, sore joints, insomnia, dry skin, irritability and just plain feeling awful. I have my doc on Tuesday and wondered if I should go back on HRT but then am I gearing towards post menopausal etc. In the past Im normaly on a sequel HRT that would give me a period etc. thanks for any advice xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Should I go back on HRT????
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:06:06 PM »

Renee - HRT is a personal choice and will depend of a variety of things.  The benefits of HRT must outweigh the side effects. Why do you think your fatigue etc. has suddenly got so much worse recently?  Have you had a virus?  Often mild viruses can strike and we generally feel unwell for a few weeks.
When you were on HRT, did it reduce your current issues e.g. fatigue, sore joints etc?
Do you eat a good balanced diet and take exercise, like brisk walking, each day? Have you tried supplementing with Omega 3, Vitamin D, magnesium and possibly B vitamins?

I can't remember how old you are? You don't say whether you currently get flushes and night sweats?
The symptoms you describe can be helped with other measures not just HRT.
Expecting HRT to sort out all the symptoms you are now complaining about is unrealistic, however, HRT can and possibly would help with many of you current issues.

Why did you stop HRT - were you getting nasty side effects? If you are under 55 and felt a good deal better on HRT with few if any side effects then it's worth trying HRT again.
If I were you, I'd give yourself a couple of weeks of lots of relaxation, really concentrate on eating well and getting out for long brisk walks each day and see how you feel.  If you are not feeling any better then try HRT again to see if it helps. 

Write out all the symptoms and concerns before seeing your GP so you can discuss this objectively, perhaps ask for a prescription for HRT so you can start it if you feel you want to - sometimes having it there waiting can help you to make a more positive decision. I wouldn't rush to try a conti HRT as the daily progesterone could make your symptoms worse - many women choose to stick with the sequi regime and put up with the withdrawal bleed as this reduces any negative side effects that can come with progesterone.
I hope this helps.  DG x

renee

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:31:19 PM »

Dancing girl...I take vitsmin C and omega 3 daily. yes when i had taken HRT in the past it did help but I had a surge of my own oestrogen on top of taking HRT and felt very ill. i was adviced to come off then a few months later my periods stopped and the hot sweats started, which I could handle but the symptoms Iv had lately are debilitating. I did have the same symptoms when all this started 5 years ago....I was 45. iv had no viral inf lately. I was 6 months period free now im 2 months period free so i wouldnt even know what kind of HRT to take! I was thinking of having a very quiet, relaxing week coming up and re thinking my HRT options as iv already had 12 years of my life upset with the complex ptsd symptoms. I was kinda hoping my 50's would be a better time for me xx

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »

renee, it sounds like your hormones have taken a nose dive which is why your symptoms have become much worse lately and yes, I think you could benefit from HRT.  What were you taking before? 

I use Oestrogel cyclically and would highly recommend it because it is flexible and you can quickly and easily adjust the dose and judging by what you have said, it sounds like you need flexibility. 

I wonder if you might need some testosterone too?

50 is far too young to put up with symptoms like that which could go on for years.  If you can get the right type of HRT at the right dose, there is no reason why you can't feel as good as you did pre-menopause. 

I hope that helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »

It's a tough one renee.  As you are still peri meno your own hormones may well continue to give fluctuations so giving these ups and downs. If you do decide to try HRT again I would recommend sticking with a sequential HRT regime for at least a couple of years to ensure you are into post meno.  Also I would consider using Oestrogel with a separate progesterone as the oestrogen gel allows for a bit of flexibility - in other words you could start on one pump per day and only increase later if need be and this might prevent the surges you experienced before.  Many women find Utrogestan is a good progesterone to use but Provera is also thought to be good and is possibly better for controlling the cycle.  WE are all different so finding the right dosage and combination of HRT is key to helping in the long term.  At your age a few more years of HRT would do you good for the long term health of your bones and heart, however, you do need to feel enough benefits in terms of ‘quality of life' or HRT side effects can actually bring more problems than benefits.
Don't rush - give yourself time to assess what is best and hopefully your GP will help you in your decisions.
I sometimes think it can be good to get the doctor to help you find the right way forward.e.g.
Tell him/her you are struggling with certain symptoms (list the symptoms) and then ask should you try HRT again in a low dose for 3 months to see whether it would help? Also explain that you have done some research and that Oestrogel with separate progesterone is often thought to be an easier way to find a good balance.
Print of the info from this site about the Oestrogel and separate Progesterones so they can see what you are talking about and go from there. Print these pages off:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php
 DG x

renee

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 03:31:48 PM »

Dancing girl thank you so much. iv just written a list to take with me to my app on Tuesday....just incase I forget any ;D

Iv never heard of the suggestions you have kindly written so i will go investigate it on here. im willing to take any gorm of help as i love life and want to enjoy the rest of my years and the activities I like to do etc.

Thank you 💕

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »

Hi renee

Just to say I agree with what's been said - I didn't even start HRT until I was in late peri-menopause - when I was nearly 54 and had not had a period for 5 months. I've been on it for 9.5 years more or less continuously ever since - so you are young yet - to be thinking you are  almost through menopause.

For many women - symptoms continue well into the post-menopausal years and you won't know whether you are going to come into this category until maybe too late - so I would say bite the bullet and go back on it if you can and feel it would help you.

I have thrived on oestrogen patches - Estradot (which are tiny) and Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) which Dancinggirl mentions.

One other thought - you talk about tiredness, sore joints and dry skin. If you are also maybe feeling the cold more and having problems with your weight then you should also get your thyroid tested and when you see the doc s/he should request this as part of checking your overall health with general blood tests - as you have such general symptoms - which are also signs of low oestrogen (and testosterone).  Some vitamin and mineral deficiencies also cause some similar symptoms so have a look at your diet and see if there are any changes you could make eg  more fresh food or a wider variety?

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »

So glad I popped on her for some advice and support. in my mind I kept thinking you can do this on your own Renee but the truth is Im struggling so I will have an open mind when I go to my doc app and I will think of my options...be it the gel or patches etc. Im ready to get some sleep and some peace from all of this.

Thank you all. this is such a good forum for advice xxxxx

renee

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 04:40:05 PM »

Hi people's,

Not long back from my doc app...Iv been given a prescription for Elleste Duet 1mg. I also started a period the other day and hadn't had one for a few months.

I explained how I'm feeling again and she adviced me to try back on a low dose HRT and we can review it again in 3 months, she did say I looked very hormonal as my eyes are red with tiredness, I have a chin full of spots and I was weepy.

Doc said I'm still young to be having such horrible symptoms and I can be on this type of HRT up until I'm 54 but we can review it every 3 months.

Phew x