Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Acid indigestion and heartburn  (Read 39116 times)

Halfpint

Re: Acid indigestion and heartburn
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

I only tend to need them when I have eaten out. I'm OK if I stick to what I know.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »

If I eat too late or take my medication B4 I lay down ……….. Note to Self  ::)

SadLynda

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 09:25:07 AM »

I had (of course) already read the horror stories from some meds on the market, which is why I went down the 'digestive enzymes' and Alkaline diet route instead.  Doing better now a week in, just read the rest of this topic and realised last time I had this was in pregnancy too (near 25 years back).

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »

Another note from Dr James in the Telegraph today - apparently Omeprazole can cause ectopic heart beats.  This side effect is 'not featured in the British National Formulary' but may be worth while making a note of! 

I had indigestion again last night, swallowed a milk shake too quickly and got mostly bubbles  :-\

Cazikins

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »

??? ??? I take Omeprazole for heartburn/acid reflux. I only take one every other day though as they give me the runs.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »

Dr James suggested that Rennies etc. are as good at easing symptoms, certainly I find them enough.  Milk of Magnesium liquid springs to mind too  :-\

dangermouse

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »

I was on all the PPIs 6 months ago (when docs thought my peri nausea was ulcers) and they made me very unwell. Stopping stomach acid made me unable to digest food properly and I had very bad reflux (which had never had before I started the meds!) when I tried to withdraw. They keep the gastrin hormone elevated which can interfere with other hormones, however, they're probably a key med if you have a hiatus hernia.

Ranitidine made me feel very anxious too so although these are milder than the PPIs, they seem to have a bigger effect in the CNS.

A lot of reflux, particularly if over 40, is due to low stomach acid, where the food can't digest properly and gets regurgitated. Digestive enzymes are good for this and will show you if it's too high or low. Slow transit from peri is possibly the main cause though.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »

:bounce:

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »

:bounce:
Pages: 1 [2]