Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1428 times)

Springer

Hello!
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »

Hi everyone, just wanted to say thank you to all you wonderful women for posting on the site. I have already found it really helpful to read about your experiences and learn more about this "new world".

I'm 48. Have been having symptoms for the last year or so which appeared to relate to peri menopause. Hot flushes, night sweats manageable so far. The worst for me is the psychological impact. Not all the time but sometimes I've had very low mood, anxiety, loss of confidence, difficulty concentrating. Usually lasts for a few weeks. Then sometimes a few weeks of feeling energised, not needing so much sleep, elevated mood. Work is quite stressful but never felt like this before. In recent weeks couldn't function properly at work - tearful, not wanting to go in, not productive - and that was making anxiety worse. I am fit and have healthy diet, exercise regularly.  Pretty much cut out caffeine and alcohol. Meditation and yoga helped when was having difficulty sleeping but not so much with low mood etc.

Ended up going to my GP last week and starting HRT - femoston 1/10. GP very positive about potential benefits. Early days but hoping it helps and that it's worth the risks...

Thanks for reading and looking forward to sharing with you!  :)

flutterby

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »

Hi Springer  :welcomemm: i was 46 when I started having symptoms mainly a few night sweats but it was the mental fog that was the worst. I have always been anxious.  I went on the pill for 2 years followed by 16 years on HRT which worked well especially when I moved onto patches. I came off HRT 5 weeks ago having fairly mild flushes but a lot of them and trouble sleeping but I'm now retired so I don't get stressed about it. What I'm saying is taking HRT was probably a life saver for me, you seem to be doing all the right things including going on HRT. Wishing you all the best Flutterbyx

Springer

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 06:25:59 AM »

Hi Flutterby, :thankyou: for this. Really appreciate that people who have come through this are still posting on the forum. Was a bit concerned re HRT just delaying things. GP made same point as you in that you may be more able to cope with some of the symptoms at a later stage in your life.

While I'm on and on a slightly different note, has anyone else spotted the GH editorial for November? I glanced at it in the shop and thought it was going to be a piece highlighting impact of meno in a helpful way. No such luck. IMHO it belittles and at best severely underestimates the impact for many women - comparing it to teenage acne outbreaks. Delighted for the editor if she managed to cope ok with the hot sweats in board room meetings. News flash: the menopause and peri menopause affects all women differently! Then, rather strangely, she pits the attention given to menopause against osteoporosis. Without even giving a nod to the potential  link between early menopause and bone health and the protection that can be offered to some women by using HRT. Rant over... Now need to take the time to email GH about this or go on twitter..

Loving this forum, you are all amazing, strong women!
S

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 08:53:15 AM »

Hi Springer

:welcomemm: from me too!

Do hope that Femoston works for you and you feel better soon! Do let us know how you get on.

GH???  :-\

Hurdity x