Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hello I'm new  (Read 1429 times)

MenoSpud

• First Flush
Hello I'm new
« on: October 31, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »

Hi everyone,  I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks now and found it really interesting and helpful.  I'm 49 think I am in peri menopause and have been for some time as I am having hot flushes (day & night) and lots of other symptoms that everyone talks about.  I still have regular periods but they are very light lasting only a couple of days.  I have the coil fitted and I have occasionally missed a period and a couple of months ago and 2 years ago, I didn't have a period for about 3 months.  I had some blood tests 2 years ago as I thought I was starting the peri then but my dr dismissed it.  My worst thing which is causing me huge problems is my anger and mood swings which I seem to have no control over (my husband is not being very supportive and tells me I have turned into a mental mad woman who he doesn't recognise, have changed so much and need to pull myself together which just upsets me and makes me cry and anxious). 

I have just changed Dr's and will make an appointment as soon as I am accepted to see if they can help me.  I don't really want to take HRT and definitely don't want them to put me on anti depressants but I really do feel I need something as I feel I am pushing my husband away and he is losing patience with me.

x

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello I'm new
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Menospud
Do ask to have your oestrogen and FSH levels checked.   If these indicate peri meno then, as you have the Mirena already, you only need to have a little oestrogen to control the flushes and low mood.  Unfortunatley nobody can tell you how long the meno symptoms will last and they often increase as you progress into post meno.  Don't rule out HRT as you are young and even 5 years of supplementing with oestrogen in for 50s can protect your heart and bones for the long term. Some oestrogen would be far better that ADs.
If you've had the Mirena in for more than 4 years then it could be worth having this changed so you can start on a small dose of oestrogen as either patch or gel(Oestrogel) - I think this little bit of oestrogen at this stage would make a BIG difference to how you feel. 
BTW - there is a thread for husbands on this site so it could be a good idea for him to have a look at that ::)
Dg x

MenoSpud

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »

Thanks Dancing Girl - my coil is due to be changed next month so will mention this then.

I did print out the information but he dismissed it saying it was too much to read.

thanks for your message x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:25:56 PM »

Not a lot of support then, this husband of yours  >:(.  What does he expect to happen?  Point out that this time of Life is called "The Change" for reasons listed on here.

Browse round. Make notes.  Don't dismiss HRT because is protects heart and bones as well as providing relief.

Look out for the dreaded Vaginal Atrophy too which is easily eased by localised treatment ;-).