Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT break......  (Read 3261 times)

Liz

HRT break......
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

Decided to take a break from HRT (3 weeks go), just to see what my own cycle is up to (I'm almost 49).  Anyway, been feeling fine apart from some sweating at night, but something I have noticed is itching/irritation down below, especially after sex.  Is this something that can happen 3 weeks after stopping the HRT?  I'm worried it may be VA.

Definitely haven't ruled out re-starting the HRT, just ideally wanted to find out if I was still having periods, but wonder if it's worth the risk?

I've been on HRT for almost 3 years now, so obviously don't know what my own cycle is up to.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: HRT break......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »

Liz - I can't remember why you want to know what your own cycle is doing? I mean if HRT is working for you then I can't see the need to stop - I never did. Well - not to see where I was in meno as I  knew I was  post - but just because I couldn't bear the particular patch I tried!

It could well be the beginning of thinning of the vaginal tissues - reacting to declining oestrogen - which I presume  varies from woman to woman (ie the degree to which this occurs and the timescale).

Local oestrogen will not affect your cycle at all - so if you do want to see what your own cycle is doing then definitely ask for Vagifem before it goes too far.

Hurdity x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

Well, thanks for your replies and views, ladies.  Here I am after almost 4 weeks off the HRT gel and I've had to start it again today.  My lady bits were drying up something shocking, itching and sore at the same time.  I've used 2 pumps gel this morning.... any ideas how long the gel will take to start working down below again (like I said, I stopped it almost 4 weeks ago and am shocked how quickly the effects have worn off downstairs ).  I felt fine otherwise but can't risk developing VA.  Will make an appt to talk about possibly using Vagifem but needed to do something positive straightaway.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »

Local oestrogen works far quicker than anything else on the vaginal area although systemic oestrogen will help your levels overall.

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »

Hi, Liz! Dancinggirl is the very lady to advise you on this - she's not using systemic HRT and has a good regime for keeping the VA under control. Hopefully she'll be along soon to advise you.....xxxx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »

I got VA during the peri stage, I would get Vagifem and start that straight away. I got an improvement within a few days but the Estrogel took several weeks to kick in.

Liz

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »

Thanks, just to reiterate, I was using Oestrogel (for 2 years) up until just under 4 weeks ago.  Do you think this will take the same length of time as someone just starting on it then?  I wonder if my system has eliminated all the Oestrogel in the four weeks then??

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »

Hi Liz

Oestrogen doesn't work like that - well it works on several levels and makes changes in the body that take some time to reduce - so its absence isn't necessarily felt immediately in all areas. However usually with VA, it appears that in many women, these particularly tissues seem to be sensitive quite quickly to a reduction in levels - once it is needed especially in post-menopause when the added oestrogen is all the body has got. As I said in my post below - local oestrogen works faster than systemic oestrogen in that area. I don't think it is possible to say how long it will take for systemic oestrogen to alleviate vaginal problems - if it is VA. I would still get some Vagifem asap - you can always stop it if you don't think it is needed after a few weels?

Hurdity x

Liz

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I'm on day 2 of re-starting the gel and it's better already..... is this possible??  Or perhaps it wasn't VA anyway.... very confusing! 

Now, I'm confused as to whether to carry on with the gel as I was feeling OK before (apart from the irritation).  It's a minefield!  ???

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

My gynae mentioned at some stage something about stopping the HRT @ 50 to see where one was but I never bothered, he is now muttering about coming off it @ 55 and seeing if I can persevere and if not allowing me to stay on till 60 but after that he has said its a big no no! I am not too happy about this, but fortunately, have a few years to go still but am already panicking at the thought..... :o

sap22

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »

Decided to take a break from HRT (3 weeks go), just to see what my own cycle is up to (I'm almost 49).  Anyway, been feeling fine apart from some sweating at night, but something I have noticed is itching/irritation down below, especially after sex.  Is this something that can happen 3 weeks after stopping the HRT?  I'm worried it may be VA.

Definitely haven't ruled out re-starting the HRT, just ideally wanted to find out if I was still having periods, but wonder if it's worth the risk?

I've been on HRT for almost 3 years now, so obviously don't know what my own cycle is up to.  Any thoughts would be appreciat

Hi Liz,

I wonder how you are doing and if your itching or irritaiton has improved with the vagifem?  Like you I stopped systemic HRT (3 weeks ago). I am getting quite a bit of discharge - just wondered if you found the same?  No itching or irritation, just lots more discharge than normal. I had to stop vagifem due to bad vulvodynia for a few weeks, but am trying to re-start it (done 3 now). ...