Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Just wanted to introduce myself!  (Read 3088 times)

CharlotteInBlue

Just wanted to introduce myself!
« on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »

Apologies as I have already been posting in the "Burning Club" and then found the New Members section.  I am 57 and live in France and have found the menopause quite isolating out here, the UK seems more open and helpful.  I have even considered having a private consultation in the UK but not sure where to start.

I have been post menopausal for 8 years now, sailed through it all really except urinary infections, manageable hot flushes and moods but then the dreaded VA started 4 years ago.   Thanks to menopause matters, I diagnosed what was happening and armed with advice from here, asked my Swiss gynae to prescribe Vagifem and Ovestin.  Even though she's older than me, she hasn't given me advice on VA but fortunately I have now found this supportive site.

So thank you for all the support  :)

Tinkerbell

Re: Just wanted to introduce myself!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »

Welcome😀 lots of help/suggestions here to help with VA.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »

:welcomemm:

Prof. Studd has been helpful to some ladies on here.  You could ring his Clinic and speak with his secretary to see what the protocol for referral is.  Keeping a list of symptoms/food/mood may be helpful. 

Did the Gynae prescribe as required?  :-\ ?  VA can certainly be helped by appropriate oestrogen replacement.

Browse round!

CharlotteInBlue

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »

Thank you!  CLKD - yes I was prescribed Vagifem and Ovestin.  It was all going well for 9 months and then I got a urinary tract infection and for the past 3 months I can't seem to get back on track, I keep having burning episodes.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »

How many times a week are you using the Vagifem?
I would do a two week reload if you haven't done that for several months.

CharlotteInBlue

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »

I reloaded three months ago which worked ok and then reloaded two weeks ago but just did 10 days and it's coming back with avengence after a shower yesterday, it's miserable. Any advice Tinkerbell?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »

How many times a week are you doing the Vagifem?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »

I would reload for another week and look at upping your weekly dose. Many doctors are happy to prescribe 5 X Vagifem a week as that is equal to the old dose.
Have you thought about systemic HRT? I have had to go down that route as after 3 years I can't manage on topical alone.

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »

Hi CIB
As a fellow VA sufferer wanted to say hi
I'm on Hrt Vagifem X 2 and Ovestin on outer bits to keep my symptoms at bay but every now and again I get a few iffy days
💜💜💜Ss X

CharlotteInBlue

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »

Tinkerbell - I am doing Vagifem x 2 week and Ovestin on the outer bits once or twice a week.  I am not sure about HRT after 8 years post menopausal?

Hi Sweetscarlett, thanks, so it's normal to get the odd iffy day, maybe I shouldn't analyze too much when I get those odd bad days  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50:23 PM »

Was it an 'infection' or bad VA?  If necessary use every other night ! …… as well as keeping outer labia moist with KY-jelly-type applications.  I find Savlon does it for me as well as regular use of VA treatment.

CharlotteInBlue

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »

CLKD -  it doesn't seem like a urinary infection so must be VA.  I read Nick Panay's study on moisturizers yesterday and have ordered some Yes, not sure if anyone else uses this but his study shows that you need something with ideal pH and osmolity.  I have been using Hyalofemme and it seems this isn't ideal. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 08:41:33 AM »

Twice a week Vagifem is not enough for most women, I would up your weekly dose. I have a bottle of the Yes, only thing that doesn't irritate me, don't need to use it very often though.

CharlotteInBlue

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »

Tinkerbell, I do every third night at present, so x 3 a week?  Plus Ovestin too?

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »

Hi CharlotteInBlue

If I haven't said so already then  :welcomemm:. If I have well I'm welcoming you again!

Just to add that to overcome all of these problems with loading and daily use etc you could use the Estring which delivers approx 50 mcg estradiol per week - about the same as the old 25 mcg Vagifem. You insert it and change it after 3 months although you can sometimes take it out eg before sex. Most women who use Vagifem and also have the cream, tend to rub the cream on the external parts of the genitalia and vaginal opening ie the parts you can reach by hand. I use Estriol cream as it is 10 x weaker than Ovestin so I tend to use it quite liberally - although Ovestin users seem to be OK with this product too.

Hurdity x