Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Spotting/light bleed after 10 month on hrt/mirena  (Read 3156 times)

Ljp

Spotting/light bleed after 10 month on hrt/mirena
« on: October 24, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »

Hi,
I've been on HRT since last December, using mirena and oestrogel, apart from initial sux weeks or so if spotting, I've had no bleed to write home about (maybe the odd day with a spot) however the last two months I've had about three/four days when there's been blood when I wipe.
Is this anything I should be concerned about? Or just the mirena doing its job?
Thank you
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:09:44 AM by Ljp »

Hurdity

Re: Spotting/light bleed after 10 month on hrt
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »

If you are peri-menopausal then your own hormones will occasionally breakthrough. Although Mirena stops periods in many cases this may not be completely. If you are post-menopausal then one reason could be due to overthinning depending how much oestrogel you are using and how well you absorb it.

Hopefully someone who has a Mirena or in the past will let you know how common this is, but if you are worried then have a word with your doc?

Hurdity x

Ljp

Re: Spotting/light bleed after 10 month on hrt
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »

Thank you Hurdity, I'm 2 years postmenopausal, using 2 pumps oestrogel daily, although I did up to 3 for about two weeks in September as I was feeling really flat and emotional, could that have caused it?

Tinkerbell

Re: Spotting/light bleed after 10 month on hrt/mirena
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »

Sorry can't help or reassure you, but I have had a couple of tiny specks of spotting over the last couple of days and am now worried.
I am post menopausal, 18 months and had Mirena fitted mid April.

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 12:02:15 PM »

Tinkerbell, I don't think we have anything to worry about, from my understanding the mirena is there to stop any build up of lining, so I'm guessing if there is a tiny bit too much lining, the mirena will do it's job and make it shed.
When I have had any bleed, it's never enough to use a tampon or towel, just a mark on a panty liner, for a day or two.
I was asking really to see if any other post meno mirena users have experienced it? I am a little concerned if it could be over thinning of the lining, but the amounts are so small I doubt it's that, plus surely over thinning would cause pain and discomfort wouldn't it?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »

I was thinking the same as you, but there doesn't seem to be a lot written about it re us post menopausal ladies, it is mostly aimed at the young and fertile and sufferers of heavy periods. Not much for HRT users...that's why I had it fitted anyway.
I only noticed mine when I removed the Vagifem stick, don't think I would have noticed otherwise....but I can be a bit of a worrier some times ::)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:45:11 PM by Tinkerbell »

linz57

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 12:48:50 PM »

I'm about 6 years post meno and although I don't use a Mirena  I do use Conti hrt and I find if I up my dose a little I get some spotting. I think it's just the lining builds up a little with the extra estrogen and then it sheds. In fact I have that happening at the moment after increasing my dose recently.

Ljp

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »

Thank you Linz that's my thinking too.
Tinkerbell, I had tried going without my estring for a month too, as I am now using vesicare to help my overactive bladder, so thought I'd try without estring, however I did get what I though was thrush on holiday, and been a bit sore, so went back to using estring, another reason I'm guessing I may have had spotting?