Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Extreme fatigue  (Read 2537 times)

imgeha

Extreme fatigue
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »

So it looks like this may be the first month I skip a period - day 45 and counting.  In the last 2 days I have been hit by an extreme fatigue that has me sitting on the sofa all day and doing nothing else, which is slightly concerning for the health anxious.  I have a lot of stuff going on - chronic fatigue, food intolerances, dodgy gallbladder - and I supplement a lot of things, including B vits, B12, calcium, magnesium. I also take thyroid and adrenal meds, and use HRT, estrogel and duphaston (oral progesterone).  All of this has stayed the same.

So I am wondering whether the fatigue is due to a sudden drop in hormones, which there presumably must be if my period is not happening?  I am seriously not good for anything now, can't believe how wiped out I feel.  Before I begin to suspect something more ominous,  can anyone relate? 

Hurdity

Re: Extreme fatigue
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »

It could be peri-menopause hormonal changes upsetting your thyroid balance. Depends what you are taking for thyroid but perhaps need an increase. Could you get your doc to monitor thyroid levels ( TSH? T3?). it may also be that your period is due and you are reacting to your own cycle overriding the hormones.

You say you think you are skipping a period but are you not taking the progestogen cyclically to bring on a bleed? if you are taking it continuously then the no bleed is quite normal and a result of continuous progestogen especially as you get nearer to menopause. If peri-meno it is supposed to be taken cyclically.

Hurdity x

imgeha

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »

Hurdity - I take progesterone every day because I found it reduced the food intolerances which resulted from extreme oestrogen dominance in early perimenopause.  It is unconventional but I am a special zebra in pretty much everything health wise, so no big surprise there.  My hormone doctor is comfortable.  I have been taking the oestrogen / Duphaston  for 3 years.

You are right that it could be why I am now skipping a period, in that progesterone is now higher relative to oestrogen, which has been falling all this time.

The fatigue lifted this afternoon after I had used an extra push of Estrogel, which also improved my mood. QED.

thanks for your help.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »

Continuous progesterone can lead to fatigue as it is a sedative and depressing hormone. I presume you are not in UK as Duphaston is not available here? What were your periods doing before you started on this regime? Oestrogen dominance as a phenomenon that requires extra progesterone is more of a US thing - whereas in UK the "dominance" from anovulatory cycles - is thought only to lead to heavy bleeding and associated problems rather than other issues.

What thyroid medication are you taking and are you being monitored?

Glad you are feeling better anyway :)

Hurdity x