Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Question about progesterone  (Read 1467 times)

Mojo61

Question about progesterone
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »

Hi ladies. Currently I'm taking continous HRT tablets (Kliovance at the moment but have tried evorel too) and have been since Feb but it caused bleeding every two weeks. I had a scan which showed a thickened lining so I went for an endometrial biopsy which all came clear thankfully. The consultant recommended a mirena coil and separate oestrogen but I'm worried that it might mess up my sleep pattern which has only just settled down a bit following months of insomnia. Is it true that it's the progesterone part of HRT which helps with sleep? If I'm not taking it in tablet form and it is just going straight to my uterus does that mean I might get the insomnia again? I'm so confused as I don't know what does what with HRT!

Dawncam

Re: Question about progesterone
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »

Hi mojo - I'm also interested in this as about to have Jaydess fitted and really don't need to lose anymore sleep!

Hope someone comes along soon with info....

Dxx

Dana

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »

The whole progesterone thing isn't really that cut and dried. Some women find progesterone makes them tired, but other women find it affects their sleep. I seem to do better on Provera than Utrogestan in that regard, but if anything is going to affect my sleep it will be progesterone. Estrogen is what I need to fix my insomnia.

While I find the general idea of a mirena an attractive option, it also terrifies me because I can't be guaranteed beforehand that it won't make my insomnia return.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »

I felt a bit sedated for the first few weeks after having the Mirena fitted - I think it was the initial hit of progerstone.
I did generally sleep better when on the Mirena with Oestrogel combo.  The Mirena is great for stopping problematic bleeding and keeping the womb lining thin.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »

I agree with Dana that the relationship between adding hormones as part of HRT and sleep can be complex.

If your sleep is disturbed by flushes and sweats, and the resultant tossing and turning - then adding oestrogen can enable a much better night's sleep for most of the time. Progesterone has a sedating affect and can make women feel tired but also foggy-headed and sometimes depressed if the dose is too high or if you are particularly sensitive. However as Dana says it can also affect sleep - it certainly makes me wake up more often to empty my bladder, and the disturbance this cause me as my body tries to wake me gives me restless vivid dreams. I have hardly used synthetic progestogens like in Kliovance so I don't know whether these have the same effect. Certainly the Mirena (and the Jaydess) are sold on the basis that they allow very little progestogen to get into the system so maybe the effect on sleep is not the same for all women?

I would go for it with an open mind and you may well be pleasantly surprised. The most important thing is to keep the lining thin - although the other option is to take a course of norethisterone - but you won't want to keep being checked in case it has thickened again though?

Hurdity x