Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Breakthrough bleeding  (Read 2324 times)

Rachatkinson

Breakthrough bleeding
« on: December 12, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »

Hi I started on Fem seven conti at least 4 months ago and am bleeding every 14 days for about 4 days . I can't understand why as I in effect had an early menopause 18 yrs ago when my pituitary gland was removed. When I was without hrt for 6 months I had no periods.
Previously I have been on prempac c before swapping to fem seven sequi. I was then advised I should be on the conti rather than sequi. Do you think I should go back to the conti?

Hurdity

Re: Breakthrough bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:02 PM »

Hi Rachatkinson

Sorry your post got missed - it's a very busy time of the year what with work and Christmas preparations and family stuff to think about and plan for, and there are so many members now!

I see from your first post in January that you had stopped HRT but presume you were given the OK to re-start? Presumably when you were on HRT before you would have had a withdrawal bleed each month? Often with conti HRT there is bleeding until it settles down - often at first it can be due to shedding residual womb lining that has built up but in your case I presume it doesn't happen due to your not having a pituitary? However I don't have the information at my fingertips as to whether the pituitary gland is involved in what is known as peripheral conversion of prescursor compounds to oestrogen - that is, production of oestrogen outside the ovaries ie in fat tissue for example. If this can happen without the pituitary being involved then your womb lining could have built up maybe? I suggest you wait and see what happens and if it settles - since bleeding is normal on conti HRT for up to 6 months. However if you are worried do call your doc? It may well be that  sequential HRT would suit you better ie still have a withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks, as it would then be predictable.  I presume that's what you meant at the end of your post?Several members on here have gone down this route for that reason ie to avoid the sporadic bleeding on conti HRT even tho' post-menopausal. Hope that doesn't sound to rambly...

Hurdity x

Rachatkinson

Re: Breakthrough bleeding
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, yes I had such awful menopause symptoms after stopping prempac c (because of the DVT )that I was allowed to go on the patches. The view was that it was most unlikely that the hrt had caused the problem as I had been on it 18 yrs and the patches do not go through the liver.
With the prempac c I had a light monthly bleed and the same with the fem seven sequi, but for some reason with the fem seven conti it's every 2 wks and heavy. Its's day 6 now and just stopping . I have arranged to see my GP next week with a view to being checked out and maybe swapping back to the sequi.