Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Help....are you ever too old for HRT?  (Read 3710 times)

Luigi

Help....are you ever too old for HRT?
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »

Ok ladies I need some advice....my mum is 68, she had a hysterectomy at 40, I was quite young at the time and she has always told me she was one of the lucky ones and didn't really suffer many meno related symptoms.
Anyway, for the last two years she has suffered with depression and anxiety , something that I thought my very strong mum would never suffer from ,  we have been down the route of AD's she is currently on metrazaline, and also have tried cbt. We are a very supportive family but my poor dad is just at his wits end and I just want my mum back.
The doctors don't really listen and I feel are too quick to dish out tablets, anyway I have been on this forum lurking as I'm peri!!! And I feel a lot of mums symptoms are very menopausal could she be too old for HRT, we are willing to try anything! Also she recently broke her wrist through picking up a suitcase awkwardly?? I think she needs a supplement for her bones too, does anyone have any advice for me please

Tinkerbell

Re: Help....are you ever too old for HRT?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »

She should ask for a Dexa scan to check for osteoporosis.
Did they remove her ovaries when she had the hysterectomy?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »

Browse round.  Make notes.  Get your Mum to prioritise her symptoms.  Is there a Practice Nurse at her Surgery or a GP with an interest in womens' problems, there will be a list of Qualifictations after the GPs' names .

Luigi

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »

They didn't remove her ovaries when she had hysterectomy, I've been making notes and the advice on this forum is amazing. This afternoon I have spoken with professor Studds clinic, anyone have any experience of professor Studds work?
Thank you for your replies ladies!

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »

Luigi, I'm glad you mentioned Professor Studd because I was going to suggest him!  I am a patient of his and can highly recommend him - his HRT regime changed my life.  I think you mother would benefit from a consultation with him and he is a great advocate of HRT for older women.  Because she has had a hysterectomy, she will be a relatively straightforward case and he will probably recommend a low dose of Oestrogel and perhaps testosterone.

It would help if you mother could have some blood tests before the appointment i.e. hormones, thyroid and standard checks because it will save money (his blood tests are quite expensive) and time.  Also, he will write to her GP with his recommended prescription meaning she should be able to get her HRT on the NHS.

I hope that helps and please let us know how you get on. 

PS  You might want to have a consultation with him too if you think you are peri menopausal. 

Luigi

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »

Mary G , thank you for your lovely reply, it's lovely to hear from someone who is a patient! At the moment my mum (and dad) have very little quality of life, I feel like I have been going around in circles with her gp's all they want to prescribe is Ads, some days mum can be great and other days she is awful, she doesn't let dad out of her sight , zero confidence, I just hope that professor Studd can give her some of her life back😞 X

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »

Glad to be of help.  I do hope your mum gets the help she deserves.  Please keep us posted!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 10:49:10 PM »

I am sorry to hear about your mum and dad Luigi. I agree she needs to get her bones looked at as soon as possible and given treatment if necessary for osteoporosis or to prevent it.

Re your question about being too old for HRT - current thinking is that there is a window of opportunity for HRT in terms of cardiovascular health - which means that ideally HRT should be started under 60 or within 5 years of menopause and no more than 10. This is because if it is started early enough - there is a protective effect on the cardiovascular system. After this time changes can have happened to the blood vessels which means that taking HRT can increase the risk of stroke. You can read about it under risks here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

She won't know when she actually went through menopause as she had a hysterectomy but it is likely to be more than 10 years ago on average.

Of course all gynaes will be aware of this and will discuss with your mother her history and whether she has any risk factors. So from my understanding - it is not a given at her age, but might be a possibility.

All the best and whatever happens I hope she receives appropriate treatment so that she feels better soon.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »

Let us know what she decides and how she gets on!  If a lady is suffering from symptoms, regardless of age, then HRT should be a choice!

marras

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »

Hi Luigi, I started HRT when I was 64, and I'm 66 now and on an Estradot patch 37.5. Hope your mum gets sorted. Life's too short to be miserable and I wish I'd started it sooner!

Luigi

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »

Thank you ladies, I've been so worried about mum and really don't think Ads are the answer, she was always so full of life and in the last few years she has become so quiet and just.....distant I suppose. Hope Professor Studd can shed some light, not sure what her GP would make of the suggestion for HRT!