Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mums diagnosis of Alzheimers  (Read 10971 times)

bramble

Re: Mums diagnosis of Alzheimers
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »

The one thing that is clear, is that the earlier it is diagnosed, the quicker that journey is.
Bramble
What I meant was that early onset dementia progresses faster than normal.
Setting up some form of home care as early as possible is a good idea as it gets your mum used to having help. Unfortunately a lot of people will not accept help until a crisis occurs.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »

The one thing that is clear, is that the earlier it is diagnosed, the quicker that journey is.
Bramble
What I meant was that early onset dementia progresses faster than normal.
Setting up some form of home care as early as possible is a good idea as it gets your mum used to having help. Unfortunately a lot of people will not accept help until a crisis occurs.

Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 11:44:35 AM »

Well done on thinking ahead Pennyfarthing.  Glad that your Mum is chipper!  How do *you* feel?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »

Well done on thinking ahead Pennyfarthing.  Glad that your Mum is chipper!  How do *you* feel?

I'm OK actually thanks. I wasn't surprised with the diagnosis as she's been changing for several months now. I have written to her one surviving sister to tell her as she rings her quite a lot. I have also told a couple of cousins who always send her cards etc. 

I am hoping that when she starts the medication it won't progress too rapidly.

As long as we can still have a trip out in the car, have a laugh and she can still come here now and then that will be OK with me.  We talked about people getting dementia much earlier in life ... even in their 50s and we both feel that in some ways she has been fortunate.  She has had bowel cancer twice. I believe the first time was 26 years ago and then again 20 years ago.  She also had a new knee about 7 years ago and that was a great success. She calls herself "a great old warrior."  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 01:17:29 PM »

:foryou:

Pages: 1 2 [3]