Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Testosterone and hair loss?  (Read 14881 times)

elliebean

Re: Testosterone and hair loss?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »

Update re my hair loss

It'll be 4 weeks on wednesday since I stopped using the Testim and, although I'm reluctant to tempt fate, I think my hair loss may be slowing down a little. I don't seem to be picking so many hairs off my clothes and off my pillow each morning.

I'm still having weird, vivid dreams and for the past few days I've woken up with a bad headache which has taken all day to dissipate. I wonder if I could be having excess oestrogen now that I'm not using the testosterone, which I believe balances things out a bit.

I've been interested to read about DHEA, but am I wrong in thinking that when you take DHEA it is instead of oestrogen and testosterone because it is a precursor to those two?

Hurdity

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »

elliebean - when women (or men?) take DHEA it is not instead of the other two. Yes it's a precursor but the controlling factors (enzyme controls, feedback pathways) I don't think are fully known (someone correct me here if I'm wrong!).  As I've said before - if it was just a question of taking precursors we could just all eat more cholesterol which is the precursor for most (all?) steroid hormones. It is not possible to determine which of the two DHEA will be converted to, and the extent to which your own basal levels influence this, if indeed it will convert to either (both) in all women - which is why more research trials are needed - into dosage, resultant hormone levels and long term safety.

Hurdity x

elliebean

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »

Thanks, Hurdity. That makes complete sense!

elliebean

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »

I thought I'd give an update on where I am...

It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow since I stopped using the Testim and for the past week I've felt absolutely lousy. My hair may have stopped coming out quite as much, I'm not sure. Either way, it's negligible, but more than that I'm feeling lethargic, no energy or motivation, sleepy off and on throughout the day and my mood is low again. When I go to bed at night I fall straight to sleep, but am awake again most nights by about 4am, or 5am if I'm very lucky, with horrible anxiety. I've tried my relaxation exercises and mindfulness, but to no avail. Once I'm awake that seems to be it. And finally, I have lost my rediscovered libido.

I'm sorry for moaning, but I'm feeling so fed up at the moment that I'm starting to think sod the hair loss, I'll just buy a wig and start back on the testosterone. At least I had energy, felt good about life and  had a libido. I'm supposed to review things with the consultant after 3 months, but I'm not sure I can wait that long, plus I really don't want to spoil Christmas for myself and everyone else!

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear you're feeling rough after stopping the T - I absolutely dread the day when I have to stop (when I can't cope with periods and all the faff if I get to late 60's and still using it!).

Why not restart but use a much smaller amount? If you made the tune last 8 days ( just looked back at your posts) then that is much more than I'm using. I also use a pea-sized blob but my tube must last a fortnight I would say maybe longer - and I still notice the difference.

Did you also say what your TSH/T3/T4 readings were? Thyroid could also be functioning less than optimally and contributing to hair loss?

In your position I would start again but I know I would find hair loss difficult to deal with as well. Let us know what you decide to do - it's a right pain all of this isn't it?!

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »

Aw Elliebean

We are in such similar situations

I've just wrote a piece on mine, I'm getting to the point where I think if push comes to shove, I can buy hair, but I can't buy the things T is giving me and like Hurdity a tube is lasting me over 14 days, but I'll carry on with this amount, it's giving me a boost and will show docs I'm not being silly on it.  I really can't work my hair out,not the best time for me to even try as being abroad the water is different so might be softening my hair (I live in a hard water area at home), shedding is definitely improved but that might've been ready to stop anyway and my better outlook on life might be giving me a bit of oomph to accept/deal with the hairloss, I really don't know

Why don't you give it a go with a 1/4 of a pea blob ?

X

Peacegirl

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2016, 08:02:04 PM »

I thought I'd give an update on where I am...

It'll be 5 weeks tomorrow since I stopped using the Testim and for the past week I've felt absolutely lousy. My hair may have stopped coming out quite as much, I'm not sure. Either way, it's negligible, but more than that I'm feeling lethargic, no energy or motivation, sleepy off and on throughout the day and my mood is low again. When I go to bed at night I fall straight to sleep, but am awake again most nights by about 4am, or 5am if I'm very lucky, with horrible anxiety. I've tried my relaxation exercises and mindfulness, but to no avail. Once I'm awake that seems to be it. And finally, I have lost my rediscovered libido.

I'm sorry for moaning, but I'm feeling so fed up at the moment that I'm starting to think sod the hair loss, I'll just buy a wig and start back on the testosterone. At least I had energy, felt good about life and  had a libido. I'm supposed to review things with the consultant after 3 months, but I'm not sure I can wait that long, plus I really don't want to spoil Christmas for myself and everyone else!

Please don't apologise for moaning, you've got plenty to feel disappointed about by the sound of it. I really feel for you as I was at the 'sod the hair loss' stage too. I have no useful suggestions as I don't know enough yet but I really do wish you all the best and hope to hear some better news from you at some point.

elliebean

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »

Hurdity, Annie0710 and Peacegirl,

Thank you all for your kind and supportive comments. It's reassuring to know there are other women who understand.

Restarting with a much smaller amount of testim sounds like a feasible option. I think I'll sleep on it and have a chat with my OH about it tomorrow. Thankfully, he's supportive and understanding.

Hurdity - my TSH level was within range and my free thyroxine was just outside range at 11.4 with range of 12.0 - 22.0 pmol/L. My GP has since rechecked it and it was all ok apparently.

Thank you all again x

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

TSH can be within the lab ranges but still causes symptoms. The treatable limit is 4.5 but many women experience symptoms when it is lower than this eg over 3. Countrybumpkin is the expert.

Hurdity x

elliebean

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »

My last TSH level was 1.59, Hurdity.

Hurdity

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »

Ah - that's definitely OK - mine was almost 3!!!

Hurdity x

elliebean

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »

After another couple of horrible days and nights I've bitten the bullet and started back on testosterone. However, this time I'm going to use a petit pois sized blob of Testim rather than a big fat juicy marrowfat pea sized blob.

I also made an appointment and went to a local wig fitters today. The woman I saw was lovely and made me feel very much at ease. She's going to order in a couple of hair pieces in my hair colour for me to try. I was pleasantly surprised by how much difference a small light hairpiece on top of my head made. This feels like a compromise as the woman didn't think my hair was thin enough to have to go for a full blown wig just yet.

She also suggested trying hair fibres. I think you use these don't you, Annie0710? So, I am going to buy some from Boots to try.

All in all, even though I'm still not feeling great in myself, today felt like a more positive day.

Annie0710

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2016, 06:10:14 PM »

Ellie where in U.K are you as I may need advice over hair toppers

Re: fibres...... order from nanogen website, they're the best I've tried and quick delivery. They only wash out with shampoo so if you don't wash hair one day but wet it they stay in

X

elliebean

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

Thanks Annie0710. I've PM'ed you x
Pages: 1 2 [3]