Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Do symptoms get worse with time or easier  (Read 2721 times)

lorrapaw

Do symptoms get worse with time or easier
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:00:12 AM »

Ive been having symptoms for about 9 years now. I have been on vagifem for about 5 years now. Just wondered do things eventually settle. Some of my symptoms are not as bad but it still gets me down as i suffer depression.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Do symptoms get worse with time or easier
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »

I've been lucky in that any brief symptoms went ………… do you take an anti-depressant and are you able to do brisk walking daily?

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »

Treatment for vaginal atrophy is for most of us, life-long.

lorrapaw

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »

Yes i do take anti depressants but does pain and irritation down below get easier as time goes on?

lorrapaw

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

I meant do genital/vaginal pain irritation get better with time. I do still use vagifem but still get bouts of pain and irritation which really gets me down. Will the bouts lessen with time?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »

Nope.  You need to have a regime of regular lubrication with Vagifem as well as KY-jelly - if symptoms begin to niggle then do a reload i.e. for 2 weeks every night.  That plumps up tissues locally and avoids the irritation down there.

I can go 5-6 nights without Ovestin but having left it for longer in the past and had the bladder symptoms return  :-\

What's your worry about regular use?

lorrapaw

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:24:50 PM »

Its not a worry. Its just the whole pain /irritation which never seems to stop. It affects my depression and anxiety. Ive actually was hospitalised in psychiatric ward when it first started really bad. So i worry about it happening again.

lorrapaw

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »

I cant take oral hrt because of severe migraines in the past. I can go for long periods whem im ok. Then it just starts again and brings my mood down

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 10:25:20 AM »

How many times a week do you use the Vagifem?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:39:49 PM »

Try a re-load ?  :-\ ?

lorrapaw

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »

Ive been back on every night for a week. Was at docs today and she gave me replens to try alongside. So hope it helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »

Vaginal atrophy and associated symptoms will always return as soon as treatment with oestrogen etc is stopped. If you are still getting bouts of pain and problems then your dose is insufficient and as the others have said - maybe you need a re-load, or a higher dose all the time.

There are women on here who need treatment in between the oestrogen to keep things lubricated - eg with Replens like you have been given, and other products (more suitable ones than KY). There have been posts about this recently and there is the Burning Club thread too in Private Lives. I can't help here as I only use vag oestrogen. The Estring delivers a higher dose of oestrogen. Dancinggirl and Maryjane are the members with most knowledge and experience about this ie what other products to use so perhaps have a look at some of their posts?

Re your comment on oral HRT - you don't have to take oral HRT to use systemic HRT. Many of us use transdermal HRT - ie patches (or gel) and maryjane is one who has this and local oestrogen just to control VA, so perhaps something to think about if additional vaginal treatments don't work. Transdermal route of HRT is recommended for those who suffer from migraines.

Hope you see an improvement soon but do think about increasing your vaginal oestrogen as well and especially that re-load!

Hurdity x