Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Alternative to Climagest 2mg?  (Read 3123 times)

mellybelly

Alternative to Climagest 2mg?
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »

Hi there, hope someone can help as my doctors are unfortunately useless!

Quick history; Perimenopause from 2012 (hot flushes, night sweats, aching joints, brain fog, tired etc).  Tried Fluoexetine for 18 months to combat night sweats, when that stopped working I started Climagest 1mg, when that stopped working after about a year it was increased to Climagest 2mg which has worked fine for over a year now.  I am 45yo.

I went to collect my prescription on Friday last week (Climagest 2mg) and the pharmacist informed me that Climagest is no longer available - he had been in touch with my docs for an alternative but hadn't heard back.  I had an appointment monday anyway as I have had a pain in my left breast (no lumps) that I wanted to get checked out.  Doc said she would consult the inhouse pharmacist about which hrt to switch to as it can be very tricky switching from one to another.  3 days later, had my last tablet last night, which I did tell them, just rang them and they still haven't sorted it out - I am on a waiting list for a call back TOMORROW.  >:(

I have been trying to research it myself,  I have come across the other types of HRT that are available (continuous combined HRT for no bleeds) and Tibolone.  These are both for post menopause (no bleeds for a year).  But as I am on a sequential HRT, that means I get a bleed every month whether I want one or not.  So when will I be considered postmenopause?  Do I just get a blood test or do I need to stop the HRT and see if I bleed?  These are questions my doctor couldn't answer yesterday as she knew nothing about HRT.  My regular doctor is on maternity leave and the 12 year old replacement I saw is lovely, but clueless.

If it is a faff to change from a sequential to a continuous combined or tibolone, what are the alternatives to climagest?  My husband informs me that I have become very angry whilst on climagest LOL so I thought it might be time for a switch?

ANY help or advice would be much appreciated as I am feeling a bit abandoned by the doc.

Thanks

Mel

Hurdity

Re: Alternative to Climagest 2mg?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »

Hi mellybelly

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are having such problems with the docs and trying to find a new type of HRT.

What was your cycle doing at the time you started Fluoxetine and also when you started HRT? This would give some indication of where you are along the menopause journey. If you had started skipping periods back in 2012 then you could well be post-menopausal now or nearly so.

However that being said it's still good to remain on a cyclical HRT and especially if you are changing because you can determine whether you are OK with a different progestogen/brand - or if you were happy with the Climagest you can just switch.

All the types of sequential HRT are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

You don't need a blood test to determine if you are post-menopausal or not - as it won't tell you - the only way is to stop HRT completely for one year - which is undesirable. If you really don't want a bleed you can just switch (ideally at the end of the pack) - but I would get used to a new type of sequential HRT first.

In terms of HRT types - there are several with the same progestogen - Clinorette, Elleste, and Femoston contains a different type - which is often better tolerated. I would just go for one of these if you can. Maybe Femoston if you've become angry - as norethisterone (in Climagest and Elleste) is derived from testosterone.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Hurdity x