Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: what age,  (Read 2163 times)

sue23

what age,
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »

Hi whats the best age to stop hrt, or is there anyone who is on it gone 60, many thanks, I am 58

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: what age,
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:14:10 AM »

Do you need to stop or are you being 'pushed' by your GP?  If you think back to which symptoms you wanted to ease and if medication has helped …… maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary for 3-6 months to see how you are?

Most of us here believe that there should no longer be an age 'cut-off' for HRT.  If it helps, then continue!

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »

sue23, as others have said, you don't have to stop taking HRT if you don't want to and nobody should be forcing you to do so unless you have a very serious health problem that prevents you from using it. 

There is no age limit for taking HRT and many women use it well into their 70s.  I am 55 and an HRT lifer with no intention of stopping, ever.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you are happy with your current regime then my advice is don't change it!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »

Hi whats the best age to stop hrt, or is there anyone who is on it gone 60, many thanks, I am 58

Hi there sue23

I am 63.5 and have been on HRT for > 9.5 years - and don't intend to come off it any time soon, while my health permits and if nothing happens that means I would be advised to stop. I am on long cycle HRT and still have a withdrawal bleed! I think there are some guidelines which suggest the doc should discuss with you the risks post 60 (such that there are - limited research - but they are probably bound to do this) and that you agree that you understand them - other than that - it's up to you :)

The only thing is depending on the type of HRT you are taking - perhaps think of switching to transdermal HRT - patches or gel (and bio-identical hormones ie estradiol) and progesterone or similar, if you are in it for the long term.

Hurdity x