Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Young women in early menopause, what HRT are you on?  (Read 4101 times)

Belladonna

Young women in early menopause, what HRT are you on?
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:18:51 AM »

For those of you who lost your ovaries/ovaries stopped working in your 20s-early 40s, what hormones are you on and how has it worked for you?

Jellyb

Re: Young women in early menopause, what HRT are you on?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »

Hi
I had my ovaries out at varying ages but started HRT in my mid 30s.  I still have my womb.
I had been very happy on Mirena coil and Evorel 25 patches.  Went in to have my Mirena out and there were complications, they didn't put another in.
I will be scanned in December to see if I can have another Mirena and go back to that plus Evorel.  On that combination I felt best I'd ever felt.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »

I had a hysterectomy at 32 (I'm 50 now) and my ovaries failed quite soon after.  I was put on elleste solo 2mg and it was brilliant until I hit 45.  Think I changed to patches (estradot) at 48 x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:21:40 PM »

I started peri meno in my mid 30s.  Through my late 30s I tried a variety of HRT options which all seemed to give me quite nasty side effects but when I was 40 I was reassessed at a private meno clinic and then put onto Oestrogel daily with separate progesterone as pills for 10 days each calendar month and this worked well for me for ages.  I started on just one pump of gel per day and then increased to 2 pumps aged 42 when I was aware that my oestrogen levels had really dropped.  I took a  break from HRT at 49 and struggled for 3 years (no reduction in meno symptoms in this time) before going back to HRT - again trying various continuous HRTs until finally having a Mirena fitted and using gel alongside and this was good for the next 4 years.  I think adjustments are often needed depending on age and where you are in your meno journey. Good professional support is vital.  In the peri stage I believe the Oestrogel allows for tailored dosing and starting low is important - I think too many women rush to go onto high doses with little benefit and possibly creating more problems.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 01:22:25 PM »

Have a look at the Daisy web-site too?

Belladonna

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »

Jellyb, were you on only 25 mcg of estrogen all the time even though you were so young?
I am on a 50 mcg patch and it's not nearly enough estrogen for me. It helps with hot flashes but nothing else. I'm worried about my bones and cardiac health in addition to my hair, muscles, energy, dryness and female shape.

Lizab

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 08:39:19 PM »

I'm 39, so not terribly young, and on Vivelle Dot .50 and Prometrium cyclically. I believe the UK equivalents are Estradot and Utrogestan. I started hrt end of last year, and now feel fairly well, much of the time feeling better than I've felt in years.

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 10:31:34 PM »

I had hysterectomy in my mid 30's, but kept ovaries. Was put on premarin. 10 years later ovaries were removed & changed to oestrogel. Now 60 & on estradot patches.

Jellyb

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 07:51:08 AM »

Hi Cubagirl

No, my first HRT was in 2008 and I was put on PrempakC 0.625mg which gave me terrible acne, then changed to various ones (including Kliofem 2mg & 1mg, Premique 0.625mg & then Low dose 0.3mg) I still had 1 overy at this time and all of these made me teary and irritable.

After I had the remaining ovary out in 2012 I then had Mirena & Evorel 25.  Felt great on that combination.

That's why I was so upset when they couldn't put another Mirena in at the time, as I thought I would go back to trial & error and sitting in the loos at work crying all day.   :'(