Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Appendix cancer update  (Read 4779 times)

marras

Appendix cancer update
« on: October 13, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

Hi there, some of you kind ladies will remember my previous posts when I was diagnosed with appendix cancer and had a huge cytoreductive operation with hot Intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC).
I am now almost eight weeks post operation and feel quite a bit better although not swimming or cycling just yet. I found my recovery quite slow and depressing but once I passed the six weeks I seemed to turn the corner. I have been signed off by my marvellous surgeon at the Hampshire clinic, Basingstoke and am now in the hands of an oncologist.
Unfortunately, because they found cancerous tumours on the descending colon (which were a direct result of the tumour in the appendix) to give me the best chance of this horrible cancer not returning, I have to undergo systemic chemotherapy. To say I'm scared is an understatement, however, I shall have to 'man up' and just get on with it because if I refuse then I shall worry for the rest of my life. My oncologist is waiting for me to put on a bit of weight and get a bit stronger before I start.
Best get on with it as the sooner I start, the sooner it finishes! Love to you all.

Elizabethrose

Re: Appendix cancer update
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:14:40 PM »

Oh marras, I send you a big hug too. You've been through so much already and it must be very scary but just take each day at a time, don't think about tomorrow - little steps!

Sending you lots of love and my very best wishes x

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 05:20:30 PM »

Love and hugs from me too Marras.  It's amazing what our bodies can endure but very scary for you. Keep up the positive spirit and will be thinking of you as you start your next journey to gain back your health. Take care. X

linz57

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »

Bless you Marras, you're really going through the wringer at the moment. You'll be in all our thoughts as you go through this journey and I'm wishing you all the best. X

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:42:30 PM »

All the best from me as well, with love, Ju Ju xx

wombat62

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »

Good luck with the chemo!

Took me a good 5 weeks to feel fully better after my gallbladder removal, it does take time to recover from an op.

Take care!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »

You aren't giving yourself enough slack!  You have had a huge amount of surgery and shock.  Do NOT do too much too soon.  You could ask for a chat with a Nurse who administers the Chemo., maybe visit the Unit - do you know if it will be tablet or via a drip?  Have you been given a Nurse contact details - make a list of any queries and if necessary, telephone the Oncologist's secretary and ask!

We are human, we don't bite  ;).  Or contact the Dept. directly!  Let us know how you get on.

:foryou:

marras

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »

Thank you so much for all your good wishes, much appreciated. Sparkle, I've been told the treatment will last between 3 - 6 months. Seems like a lifetime to me and I haven't even started yet!
Thanks for your wise words CLKD. My oncologist didn't give me a lot of information at the time of the first appointment because he knew I wasn't fit enough to start it. However, he did say that it would be a two-hour drip and tablets for two weeks and then a week's rest and then start all over again. He said I wouldn't lose my hair but I would probably have a sore mouth, tingling in my fingers and very dry skin. Somehow I don't believe that's all I will get away with! My lovely GP has said that chemotherapy has come on in leaps and bounds and is not as bad as it was.
Fortunately my local hospital has a unit where they administer chemo so at least I won't have to go far each time.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 06:21:05 PM »

So a 2-hour drip at the appropriate Hosptial Dept and daily tablets?  Your GP is correct, Chemo has come on in leaps and bounds but I would still dread it  :-\  :-[.

Ring the Dept and ask what is suggested to relieve a sore mouth and what you can use for the dry skin - maybe start a regime B4 starting treatment sessions, pamper your skin ;-). 

Ring and ask if there is a dedicated Nurse to chat with? or have a look-see at the various UK-based cancer support group, i.e. Macmillan ……..

marras

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 10:10:05 AM »

Thank you so much for all your suggestions Teresa, I will certainly put them into practice once I start. Yes, that's correct CLKD, a 2 hour drip, tablets for two weeks and then a week's rest, then start all over again.
I have my 2nd appoinment with the oncologist on Wednesday when no doubt I shall have to discuss a date for starting.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »

Hi Marras

Glad you are feeling a bit better but sorry to hear that you need the chemo.  You might find the following link helpful. It appeared on my FB page. Don't know why. It is promoting various products to relieve cancer symptoms/side effects   https://livebetterwith.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwp4fABRCer93Klpaki94BEiQAsXJMGrp6RzHfy_xJmN_CQM1UdRvkImOA5TXHWO4LIly-0FsaAmZJ8P8HAQ

Katejo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:49:11 PM by Katejo »

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »

Hello marras.

I thought  I would add that two of my neighbours have been on a similar regime to you, one was treated for colon cancer and the other Lymphoma. Both these ladies have fared really well and neither lost any hair.

I hope your treatment is equally successful and I wish well.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »

Katejo - Links that sell products aren't allowed  :-\

Marrass:  Hopefully your chat on Wednesday will be positive. Take That List  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:57:25 PM by CLKD »

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 09:56:29 PM »

Katejo - Links that sell products aren't allowed  :-\

Hopefully your chat on Wednesday will be positive. Take That List  ;)
Sorry 're. List. Just trying to be helpful not to promote products.  It hasn't been removed by anyone (yet)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:59:30 PM by Katejo »