Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: re. lack of urgency in hospital appointments/less likely to be serious?  (Read 2041 times)

Katejo

Some of you will know that I had an urgent referral for a cystoscopy and scan for kidney stones/blood test to check for kidney infection recently. A GP insisted that it had to be done the following week and i ended up cancelling a  short break to attend. The tests were fortunately all clear and so I was surprised that the urologist also wanted me to be referred to a nephrologist because of the blood  (not visible to me) in my urine. I  had the impression that this appointment would be arranged quite quickly because they were concerned.

That was  over a month ago and, by this week, I had had no date for the referral. I raised it with the GP and  was told that there would be a wait. I eventually got the letter today and i have to wait until January 2017 to see anyone. I am wondering whether to conclude that there is unlikely to be anything serious.

Do you tend to assume that it is a precaution if there is a long wait for a referral?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: re. lack of urgency in hospital appointments/less likely to be serious?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »

Yep.  If the Urologist felt that there was likely to be a 'problem' I am sure that a quick referral would have been asked for.  Next week you could ring the Urologist's secretary to ask the question ….. also, are you able to go at short notice if there is a cancellation?  If so, let the appropriate Dept. know?

Megamind

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:53 PM »

I would take the lack of urgency as less likely to be serious. Did your GP not reassure you it was nothing urgent? You are having to wait a long time, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »

I agree

I've had to wait quite a few months for appts but other times (neurologist and scan) I got within a couple of weeks, they prioritise the severity (or potential severity) of the condition x

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »

Yep.  If the Urologist felt that there was likely to be a 'problem' I am sure that a quick referral would have been asked for.  Next week you could ring the Urologist's secretary to ask the question ….. also, are you able to go at short notice if there is a cancellation?  If so, let the appropriate Dept. know?

The urologist discharged me back to the GP and left her to arrange a nephrologist referral so it won't help me to contact him or his secretary.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »

His Secretary will have access to your notes though  ;) and will be able to give you the reassurance that your GP should have done.  Of course your GP will know if there is any need for urgency/not but may have forgotten to impart that knowledge to you  :bang: :bang: :bang: ??

We shouldn't have to battle should we  :-\

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »

I would take the lack of urgency as less likely to be serious. Did your GP not reassure you it was nothing urgent? You are having to wait a long time, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

The GP seemed a bit surprised when I told her about the recommended referral to a nephrologist. She was thinking of one to a gynaecologist. She waited until she had the actual  discharge  letter from the urologist before doing the referral.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »

There doesn't seem to be any joined-up thinking these days >sigh<.  In my day the Urologist would have done the referral himself, had the appropriate Consultant been present in the Hospital that day the patient would have been moved over .  Then the Urologist would have sent a letter to the GP explaining what he/she had found and that an appropriate consultation had been arranged.

Saved time and money for everyone !  No extra GP appt. required, time for the patient in both referral time and travel time ………

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 06:32:56 PM »

His Secretary will have access to your notes though  ;) and will be able to give you the reassurance that your GP should have done.  Of course your GP will know if there is any need for urgency/not but may have forgotten to impart that knowledge to you  :bang: :bang: :bang: ??

We shouldn't have to battle should we  :-\

I doubt I will find out more by contacting him again. He did give me quite a bit of detail when I was there. He was concerned that the blood in my urine was more than just traces.  He said that a nephrologist would do a test which would give more detailed results than the kidney scan and blood tests had done. I also have a copy of the letter sent to my GP.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »

There doesn't seem to be any joined-up thinking these days >sigh<.  In my day the Urologist would have done the referral himself, had the appropriate Consultant been present in the Hospital that day the patient would have been moved over .  Then the Urologist would have sent a letter to the GP explaining what he/she had found and that an appropriate consultation had been arranged.

Saved time and money for everyone !  No extra GP appt. required, time for the patient in both referral time and travel time ………

It's possible that he would have done but I expressed such surprise at the need for it. I really thought that I was going to get all clear as the tests so far hadn't found a problem. I might be wrong though.