Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thin and thick womb lining - post menopause  (Read 7194 times)

Cherry blossom

Thin and thick womb lining - post menopause
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »

Hello,

Just a little history. I'm 54,  I had a scan last week because I had started to bleed around the end of May. It started off being very light, sometimes I could go a few days with no blood at all. Early July, I started bleeding more but still light and some days just a little spotting. I also started having a dull ache, like a mild period pain. I've noticed when I get the cramps, there is always more blood, usually after exercise or being extra busy. My last main period was in 2012. About two heavy periods and one light in 2012 so I knew I was heading for the menopause. I've had a lot of stress and worry at the end of 2012 so not sure if that is why they stopped completly or its just the menopause.

Anyway I made an appointment with my GP who reffered me to hospital. They have been very quick with all the appointments. I was told my cervix was ok and they managed to do a smear but won't get the results for another few weeks. I had a scan last week and was told from what they could see, my womb lining is very thin at the top, number 1 but at the bottom, its worryingly thicker at 13. I've read because its not uniformed (same thickness) then it might be a polyp, I really hope so.

I'm having Hysteroscopy next week so fingers crossed they don't find anything too worrying. Has anyone else had a thick and thin lining? Thank you for any help you could give me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thin and thick womb lining - post menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 04:33:26 PM »

:welcomemm:

You are being seen as per Guidelines which is good, it will give you a base line from which to work.  Let us know how you get on!

Cherry blossom

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

Thank you for the lovely welcome CLKD :thankyou: Yes I will let you know how I get on, just a week to go. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »

Hi Cherry Blossom - welcome to the forum. You will find lots of support and friendship on here.

Post menopausal bleeding is always fast tracked so try not to worry about the speed of it - your GP would have had to refer you quickly. The good thing is that you didn't just ignore it as so many women do.

Womb lining is supposed to be uniform - whether thick or thin - so this is why you have been referred for a hysteroscopy so that the cells can be examined to check for any changes, which may develop into endometrial cancer if left, and to see whether there is indeed a polyp or many polyps which need treating.

Please let us know how you get on at your appointment. Someone else will be along soon with their advice and experiences.

Taz x  :)  :welcomemm:

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:51:45 PM »

I was told by the sonographer when I had my ultrasound that the lining was thicker in one area than the other, when I looked concerned she said it was common. I had a hysteroscopy and they found a polyps 1.5 by 2.0 cm which because of it's size I had removed last week under a general anaesthetic. Now just waiting for the lab report, but the gynaecologist said he thought it was probably OK. They see hundreds so I am putting my faith in him.
Hope this info helps, Cherry Blossom. Flutterby x

Cherry blossom

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »

Thank you Taz and flutterby  :thankyou:

Taz I'm afraid I ignored it for a few weeks but I thought it was just a blip but I'm relieved they are investigating things.

flutterby, all the best with the lab report. Its good to know its common being thicker in one area, thank you for letting me know. I've had my pre-op today and will be having a local anaesthetic for the hysteroscopy next friday. Is it very uncomfortable? I was told if they find a polyp they will get a biopsy then remove it. Its going to be a long week, just trying to keep myself busy x

flutterby

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 10:24:23 PM »

I have had 2 hysteroscopies with local anaesthetic and hardly felt the injection (although my friend thought it 'stung a bit '). When they took the biopsy I felt a bit of a dragging pain and the 2nd time shortly after I had a period like pain for a short time. I found it very manageable I thought my pain threshold would be quite low for anything like this as I haven't had children. The majority of polyps are benign. Flutterby x

Cherry blossom

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »

Thank you flutterby for your message, I'd read it earlier but sorry I didn't get chance to reply. I had my Hysteroscopy on friday. I didn't feel much pain just some period like pains near the end. I was very sick afterwards, the trolley ride to the ward didn't help even though they gave me an anti-sickness drug. I had light sedation and and a local. A round of toast was the best medicine for my nausea.

Well  they found a thickend polypoidal endometrium and they have done a biopsy so should know the results in a week or two. He said there didn't seemed to be anything worrying so fingers crossed the biopsy results come back ok and also my smear test results which should come back in about 4 weeks. Hopefully the bleeding will stop after a week, its not too heavy.

I will let you know when I get my results, thanks again everyone  :love:

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »

Thanks for the update and I'm glad that things went well apart from the sickness of course.

Here's to you getting your results quickly - let us know!

Taz x  :)

Cherry blossom

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »

Thanks very much Taz, I will x

flutterby

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »

Hi Cherry blossom pleased your op went well apart from the nausea. I got my results after 10 days ( most of that was because of 2nd class post!)to say there were no abnormal cells. After the op I was also told not to worry which I am sure is a good indication that everything is ok, they must see hundreds of these things and have a damned good idea. I found the bleeding stopped after about a week, just spotting towards the end. Flutterby x

Cherry blossom

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 05:17:14 PM »

So sorry I'm late letting you know my results. The consultant went on holiday so another Dr had to sort my results out for me. I'm pleased to say there is nothing to worry about and my biopsy result was just fine, so very relieved.

Flutterby, I stopped bleeding after day 6 which I thought was a good sign and no bleeding since but was still worried until I got the all clear.  :)

flutterby

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »

Excellent news Cherry blossom about the result and the bleeding Flutterbyx

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »

Good news indeed.

Taz x  :)