Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone vaginally  (Read 1676 times)

Lizab

Progesterone vaginally
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »

On the forum it seems that those that take Utrogestan vaginally are taking 100/day for 10, 12 or 14 days. Are there ill effects from taking the stronger 200 dose vaginally? I believe I've read that 200 isn't required when taking it vaginally, but my prescription comes in 200 capsules. I currently use it orally, but am thinking on trying the other route.

nothappybun

Re: Progesterone vaginally
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:26:02 PM »

Hi Lizab, sorry I don't know the answer but would like to receive notifications as will try next month  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »

Hi Lizab

I take Utrogestan 200 mg vaginally. It's fine. This is the recommended way to take it in France if you suffer side effects from oral use. I take it this way at this dose because I am on a long cycle (6-8 weeks) and want to make sure my lining is protected properly. If you are on a very low oestrogen dose it may well be more than you need but it won't do you any harm. Much larger doses than this are taken vaginally for fertility purposes. However I always make sure my vagina is well plumped up beforw and during the time I am on the utro part of my cycle - because my theory is that it minimises systemic absorption and therefore side effects - although there is no research on this!!! I always feel a bit foggy headed on it and sometimes get a migraine, and definitely more tired and sleep even more deeply than usual. To me this is a small price to pay for feeling well and energetic most of the time! I'm not sure I would want to have it on a normal length cycle though ie every 4 weeks....

See how you get on and if necessary ask for the 100 mg next time - but the actual dose needed to protect the womb is dependent on the dose of oestrogen and the individual woman so if in the future you plan to depart from the licensed amount, get your doc to agree to a scan after a fewmonths ( and following a bleed) to check it's doing its job.

Hurdity x

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »

Thanks, Hurdity. I believe I'm on the same estrogen as you. Mine is Vivelle dot .50 and I've been cycling 10 days/month but I have cheated a bit by a week or two twice this summer due to travels. If I allow myself plenty of sleep at night and plenty of time to fully wake in the mornings before I start my day, it isn't so bad orally. I think earlier this week I wasn't getting myself to bed early enough. Five hours of sleep in a night probably isn't healthy anyway and is simply intolerable on the progesterone. I may try vaginally next month so I can see the difference before my next followup appointment.