Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cycle suddenly longer?  (Read 5035 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Cycle suddenly longer?
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »

I always used to have a regular 28 day cycle with a medium/heavy bleed on tje first few days before tailing off on about day 6.

Then about 3 years ago my cycle went to more like 25/26 days, and my periods were much lighter and only lasting 3-4 days.

These last few months my periods have been even lighter, really just spotting and only need to use a panty liner and just lasting 2-3 days. This is despite using 4 pumps of oestrogel a day.

But for the second month in a row now, my cycle has been 30/31 days. Period very, very meagre just a bit of red spotting, followed by some brown, when I wipe. Have felt very, very bloated round my middle though. Predictably, my mood really dropped as soon as my period started.

Have't taken any Utro this month, at my GP's advice, because I am obviously still producing enough of my own progesterone to still have a regular period every month.

But, was wondering if my cycle now getting longer, does this mean I am nearer the Menopause? I really hope so

dazned

Re: Cycle suddenly longer?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »

Hi
 Just wondered though if you might not be producing much/enough progesterone if theres hardly any bleed,especially on 4 pumps of estrogen ! Could be the cause of bloating possibly because you havent had a good/proper bleed  :-\

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »

Hi Dazned

Even when I use progesterone there's barely much of a bleed, either. The amount of flow seems to be the same whether I use Utro or not.

I have noticed the bloating for a while now, not just this month.

Keepgoing

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »

I still had regular periods when I started hrt and still producing my own progestorone but my doc emphasised the need for me still to use the utro and I'm on 3 pumps of estrogel...my periods are light now much like before I was peri. I think you really do still need the utro xx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:44:05 PM »

Hi keepgoing

The GP I saw told me to just use Utro every three months. She also said there was no need for me to have a scan.

She seemed very clued up about peri Menopause/HRT to be honest.

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:37:37 PM »

I honestly don't know how far along I am, other than that my FSH tested very high as postmenopausal. My last few natural periods were far apart and very light. I probably could have used only liners. Maybe you are almost done with natural bleeds. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean an end to all the symptoms. Also, I was given the option to take progesterone monthly or every 2 to 3 months. My doctor really didn't seem to care how I took it as long as I did it and had good results with no irregular bleeding.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »

Thanks Lizab. Interesting that your doctor gave you the same option.

I never have any bleeding or spotting between my periods.

I really hope my periods do stop soon, because it seems to be the fluctuations in my cycle which seem to cause my issues.

Keepgoing

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 08:32:39 PM »

Wish my doc would say this xx

Lizab

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »

He actually encouraged a long cycle since I was testing post-meno and skipping periods 3-4 months at a time. I was so desperate to feel "normal" again that I opted for monthly. I have stretched my cycled to 5-8 weeks some to accommodate my schedule though and I think I feel best with around 6 weeks.

Autumnlady

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »

Hi I am adding to this thread as I have now come through the menopause but had a worrying time leading up to that last period. Menopause - or the change is an apt name for what we go through because during the 'change' we don't know what the heck to expect.

I had regular periods from the very start - every three weeks - bled for a full week. I always considered my periods heavy compared to friends who seemed to have their cycle done with after just three days on!

When I reached about 40 my periods were still regular but heavier and sometimes lasted more than one week. By the time I was 47 I was extremely heavy. Needing to have towels under myself at night in case I leaked through in the first 5 days. Periods became longer, often two weeks and I was losing clots continuously. I had a few episodes of suddenly losing blood and clots to the extent I was stuck on the loo with it dripping from me. Sorry for so much info but hoping my story will help in the long term for anyone going through this. This sudden blood loss would go on for around two to three hours. Sometimes all night. I would come back from the loo, lay in bed and within seconds my pad was completely soaked. The doctor put me on Northisterone for a month and took blood tests. Obviously I was quite anaemic so needed iron tabs, which really helped with how I felt.
Although I had a bit of pain when my period started again I found that the Northisterone regulated me for some months before it started up again. I had a scan and was found to have 3 fibroids but the consultant said they were too small to need an op and as I was so close to menopause they would hopefully disappear once I was through it. I was 47 when these were found and 53 when the periods stopped. I need to add that I had friends whose periods were as heavy as mine but they did not have fibroids.

Throughout that in between time my periods were all over the place. I went to periods lasting 3 to 4 months. They would be heavy, slow down to practically stopped or I would see blood only if I wiped myself, then it would go to heavy again, then spotting.  I began to have long breaks - Hooray!!! 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 11 months. Twice I went 11 months without a period and bingo, they were back again. I had three normal periods in a row. Then they stopped for several  months. Sometimes the period would be mega heavy, sometimes it would be spotting or very light for a few days or a week. Sometimes blood bright red, sometimes dark red, sometimes brown.
 I think the thing to remember is that if you have always had regular periods and they change to longer gaps or shorter gaps this is the beginning of the change. It can last several years and everyone is different. Just be careful if yours are often heavy that you see a Dr to get blood checks for anaemia. All it takes is iron tablets to get yourself back on track. And make sure to have these straight after food because it can make you feel sickly on an empty stomach. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Hope this helps those who are at that stage as I remember being so worried at what was happening with my periods. It's good to find it can be normal. Obviously I am not a doctor so see yours if you are at all worried, but what I put above happened to me and it was all normal.

Charys

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »

Thanks for posting this Autumnlady. I don't know if you are still around the forum and I realise this is a very old thread.....but I posted a new topic about these types of changes and had no responses, so I went searching and found this thread matching my descripIt has helped me to know others went before me experiencing the same.  :)
If you are still around maybe you could answer a question, if you don't. On those periods where there was a very long cycle length - was the bleeding much worse generally? I am getting worried that as I am usually so heavy anyway, that the bleeding might be even worse as the lining just keeps building and building.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:06:40 AM by Charys »

Snoooze

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »

Thanks for posting this Autumnlady. I don't know if you are still around the forum and I realise this is a very old thread.....but I posted a new topic about these types of changes and had no responses, so I went searching and found this thread matching my descripIt has helped me to know others went before me experiencing the same.  :)
If you are still around maybe you could answer a question, if you don't. On those periods where there was a very long cycle length - was the bleeding much worse generally? I am getting worried that as I am usually so heavy anyway, that the bleeding might be even worse as the lining just keeps building and building.

Charys , is this the thread you were looking for?

Charys

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »

Thanks Snoooozeee, you are kind , thats one of them definitely, but there was one where someone had listed their final year of periods. They had maanged to draw some sort of pattern between length of cycle (long) with length of bleeding (long). I honestly can't recall who it was though?

Snoooze

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 04:55:31 PM »

dangermouse

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »