Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie and losing it  (Read 2637 times)

Wendy65

Newbie and losing it
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »

Hi,

I am aged 51 with a mirena coil and also taking  Estradiol 1 mg. Feeling awful. I work full time and it's really a struggle at the moment. Just feel like staying in all day.

Current issues are:-
libido - zilch
headaches
feel like a psycho
irritable
moody
fat - weight gain only started after HRT
Low self esteem
Lack of confidence

Other than that lot I am fine. Trying to retain a sense of humour.

Nice to join this forum for support. Would anyone be able to recommend any other remedies as my G.P is great but I don't want to keep going back to him moaning.

Thanks all

Wendy   

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie and losing it
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:09:06 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
You need a higher dose of oestrogen - you are on a very low dose for your age.  If you are taking oestrogen as pills it is often not as effective.  I'd ask for the oestrogen patches (Estredot 50mg) or Oestrogel (use 2 pumps per day).
Remedies are not really the way to go - mostly placebo effect. 
Do make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D, magnesium and omega 3 oils. Lots of brisk walking and practising Mindful meditation are the cheapest and best ways to improve mood and keep the weight under control. DG x

Wendy65

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »

Thanks DG.

I did go back to my G.P but he didn't recommend a higher dose as he said that I would put on even more weight. I did start with the gel so maybe I'll try and go back to it.

Thanks for the advice.

Wendy

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »

I don't understand why weight gain happens  :-\ and that sounds really supportive of your GP - not  ::)

You are in Good Company!  Browse round.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »

Weight gain is nothing to do with HRT - it's the menopause that changes everything.  I'm afraid we all have to simply eat a lot less and get more exercise to maintain a reasonable weight. I'd return to the gel and use 2 pumps per day.
Most of us find our figures change and the weight gathers around our waist and hips - it's called middle age spread fro a reason :-X
Dg x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »

I was on oral oestrogen for years then peri hit, I was on 2mg after only 2 weeks of 1mg.  When I joined this forum I gained info and swapped to patch.  Maybe ask your GP for patches or gel . With gel you'd have the option of experimenting dosage easier x

Oh and all those years I was on oestrogen I was a slender size 8.  Since being post meno I can gain weight just by looking at food. X

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:36 PM »

Wendy65,  I found I needed a lot of oestrogen to control symptoms when I had a Mirena coil and even a 100mcg patch was not enough in my case.  I would recommend you try Oestrogel because it is flexible and you can easily adjust the dose very quickly -  I find I absorb it far better than patches or pills and feel completely back to normal now.

Note: these are only my own personal experiences and other members may have had different experiences.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »

Hi Wendy65

:welcomemm:

I think you've got two threads saying the same thing! I agree with the others that you may need a higher dose of oestrogen and also that I have only ever used transdermal HRT - I use Estradot 50 mcg which works well for me.

Just wondered how long you have been taking the estradiol 1 mg and what led you to take it - since you wouldn't be able to tell from your cycle where you were in menopause because the Mirena usually stops periods well before you reach menopause? Did you have symptoms eg flushes and sweats or did the doc do blood tests?

Re weight gain - your doc is talking rubbish! Some women do tend to have some bloating with HRT but this is generally the progestogen which causes this. As Dancinggirl says it is down to menopause - changes in metabolism, which have to be controlled by diet and exercise. I have had to change my diet drastically and take much more exercise - I did put on weight when I became peri-menopausal but have lost it all now and I am slimmer than I've been for years - but have to work at it!

Hurdity x

Wendy65

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »

Thanks for all your comments. I'm going to try the gel instead.

Thanks

Wendy65

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »

Wendy65, I that's a wise move and you should see a significant improvement.

Please let us know how you get on.