Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan - vaginal application  (Read 4448 times)

2cats

Utrogestan - vaginal application
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:51:43 PM »

So I've read on here that some ladies use utrogestan vaginally but the posts were a couple of years old.  I have been taking it intermittently and now I remember why!   I can feel my anger levels rising (5 pills taken) though I am sleeping so much better!  My shoulder and neck pain feels better today though this may be a coincidence and may change again tomorrow..  I'm also feeling very sleepy in the day.  Oh, and I've also got a raging thirst and a horrible metallic taste in my mouth.  Also, which is a kinder progesterone - Everol Sequi one didn't suit me at all either.

Just wondering if taking it vaginally would maybe help with these symptoms?  And is it ok to just start using them like this or should I ask my GP? My pills are 100s. 

Thanks Ladies

Elizabethrose

Re: Utrogestan - vaginal application
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:13:08 PM »

Hi 2cats

I had a raging thirst, metallic taste and mood changes with the Topiramate, these symptoms could be due to that. The side effects build up over the initial weeks, you may find they calm. x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »

2cats, I always use 100 mg vaginally and find it works better at clearance/thinning and also has fewer side effects like breast pain.   When you take it orally,  it can cause stomach problems and a lot of it can get lost in your digestive system.

Why not give it a try?

2cats

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »

Oh god Elizabethrose - I hadn't thought it was the Topiramate!!  It has coincided perfectly with starting the progesterone and I have had this metallic taste before so I guess I'll know when I stop the progesterone. 

Mary G - can I ask what you mean by better at clearance?  Do you mean a very heavy period??  Also, did your dr recommend you take it this way, or have you gone maverick? :)  Do you get the moodiness/metallic taste with it?

Thanks,

Elizabethrose

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »

Good luck then, if it's the Topiramate, it may calm though if I'm honest the taste may stay there. Try drinking a fizzy drink! x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »

2cats, I think it works better when used vaginally because it is localised, hits the spot and therefore all of it does what it is supposed to do as opposed to getting lost in your digestive system.  My gynaecologist thinks it is better at clearing/thinning the lining when used vaginally and I get good clearance (bleed) even though I use significantly less than the recommended dose.  Uterine scans have confimed this. 

Note: this is my personal experience and others may have a different experience while using the same dose.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 07:50:09 PM »

So I've read on here that some ladies use utrogestan vaginally but the posts were a couple of years old.  I have been taking it intermittently and now I remember why!   I can feel my anger levels rising (5 pills taken) though I am sleeping so much better!  My shoulder and neck pain feels better today though this may be a coincidence and may change again tomorrow..  I'm also feeling very sleepy in the day.  Oh, and I've also got a raging thirst and a horrible metallic taste in my mouth.  Also, which is a kinder progesterone - Everol Sequi one didn't suit me at all either.

Just wondering if taking it vaginally would maybe help with these symptoms?  And is it ok to just start using them like this or should I ask my GP? My pills are 100s. 

Thanks Ladies

We talk about using utrogestan vaginally almost every day on here!!

I have only ever used it this way - as I am a nil-by-mouth gal when it comes to HRT. It is not licensed to be used vaginally in UK but the French instruction leaflet (as I understand do other countries) gives it as an alternative method of delivery for those who suffer bad side effects from oral use.

More is absorbed into the system when used vaginally than orally from the same dose - because as Mary G says much is lost in digestion, and also many of the side effects are due to metabolic by-products from progesterone going through the liver.

It is absolutely fine just to change the way you take them. My gynae GP was quite happy when I told her I planned to use them vaginally. I mean it can't do any harm. Also they are used vaginally (same capsule) for fertility to help maintain pregnancies - which proves the prog gets to where needed!

The sleepiness is typical - progesterone has a sedative effect.

Hurdity x

2cats

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

how strange because when I put the search terms in, only posts from 2 years ago came up. Just looked through again and couldn't find anything newer...
I think I will stop them for this month then give them another go but vaginally and see if the side effects are reduced when I next have to start taking them.
Thanks for your help with my questions. :)

nothappybun

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 11:30:37 PM »

2cats, we can still post on here how it goes. I'll use them vaginally next month if I have to keep on taking them as Hurdity has suggested   ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »

If I put "Utrogestan vaginal" in the search box on the right ( you have to start the search on the main home page of the forum ie the board index) - I get 23 pages of threads which mention this so maybe something about how you search?!

Anyway no matter - there are always lots of women ready to give their experiences at any time :). If you are peri-menopausal and still ovulating, at least you will be producing some of your own progesterone, but if you are post-menopausal then 5 days is not enough - so yes do have a try at vaginal use. Personally I would try for a few more days this month - ie switch to vaginal use for another 5 days if you can.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x