Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Premarin  (Read 3836 times)

Anna67

Premarin
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:19:27 PM »

Hi everyone I'm new to all of this peri stuff and wondered if anyone could help me, Iv been put on Premarin 1:25mgs two weeks ago and wondered how long they take to work, only a month ago I was fine then I felt like I hit a brick wall and my life was gone, just like that ! I'm weepy I'm anxious like I'm always nervous and don't know why if that makes sense, mornings are a nightmare like I'm drunk I just carnt seem to think straight, which is why I ended up at the doctors I really thought I was loosing my Mind, after the blood tests came back and she said it's hormones, her exact words were " you need hrt honey as your well on the way to menopause never mind the peri menopause " so like I say Iv been taking Premarin for two weeks now and just wanted to know how long before I'm me again, thankyou for taking the time to read this and I really hope someone can help me out with this :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Premarin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »

:welcomemm:

Maybe use the search button for 'premarin'?  It will take you to various threads so that you can see what is topical.

Anna67

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »

Oh I'll try that, thankyou  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »

Browse round.  Make notes. Ask away …………. >wave<

I did a quick search and there are several threads ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »

Hi Anna67

:welcomemm:

Perhaps you could tell us where you are in menopause - such as what your cycles have been doing over the past year or so (how regular and whether you've skipped many periods)  and how old you are? Or perhaps you don't know because you've has a hysterectomy which is why you've been give oestrogen only? That is one of the old-fashioned types of HRT but does seem to work fine for many women. Also you've been started on the highest dose initially - which sometimes can cause side effects.

As for being "me" again - well what most of us hope for is to eliminate the worst of the menopausal symptoms for most of the time - but we do still expect not to feel 100% some of the time just as with our periods or in pregnancy! Often the physical symptoms go quite quickly ( on the right HRT at the right dose) but the psychological symptoms can take longer and especially if you are still peri-menopausal and your hormones are fluctuating.

It's a good time also to look at your diet, weight, exercise and lifestyle and to make any changes necessary to improve your health as you move into this next stage of life!

Do tell us a bit more about yourself and also do ask anything else - women on here have experienced most things  between us!).:)

Hurdity x

Anna67

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks for the reply  :) I carnt answer the period side of things as I have had the marina coil in for 6 yrs, had it changed last year, I had endometriosis for years and then bleeding really bad which turned out to be polyps on my cervix, so I had surgery to remove the polyps that's when they decided to put in the marina coil to help ease the endometriosis which it did.. so I was about 43yrs old when all that was happening, I'm 49 now and only been feeling this way for a couple of months, I eat healthy always have, plenty of fresh fruit, veggies oily fish, I'm a good weight 9 stone 7 pounds so I'd say I'm normal " well whatever normal is " even though I have the marina coil I have noticed bleeding sometimes and also Heavy brown discharge SORRY TO BE CRUDE... I have no idea why my doctor gave me a high dose straight away unless my hormone blood test came back low I'm just not sure, I keep looking at other threads on here and it helps knowing I'm not going insane, it helps to talk about it and get advice from others going through it too :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »

It's a bit Trial and Error dependant upon where the women is in the hormone journey.  As my periods dropped away I had a few days occasionally of brown staining ……. sometimes a clot of fresh blood.  Then no more ……….  I had a polyp which would bleed on contact, could you have a small re-growth which is sensitive?  Once I went into menopause proper, the polyp shrivelled on it's own  ;)

Anna67

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »

Hi CLKD,  thankyou for the reply, I was kinda putting the bleeding down to the menopause as I have the coil but I'm not sure now, the doctor just said it's all normal with the coil and menopause, hope she wasn't just fobbing me off with that one, but I'll sure mention the possibility of the polyps re growing.. do you know how long you have to take the hrt before it takes effect ? The anxiety and tiredness are just awful, I feel like Iv had a personality transplant gone from happy and loving life to a emotional wreck !  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »

It's The Change! 

I haven't needed HRT thankfully. 

Anna67

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »

God damn you menopause !!
I have to try the hrt as I'm not coping with these changers very well, I like to be in control of myself and at the minute I'm not and it's frightening to say the lease  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »

Give it a whirl.  Some ladies find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary helpful to chart the little things that they might forget.

You are no longer alone!

Anna67

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:09:25 PM »

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a go... if I remember to write in it, another symptom  :o thankyou CLKD

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 06:48:01 PM »

We have a thread on 'doing stupid things' as well as worrying about what we forget  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 03:51:28 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks for the reply  :) I carnt answer the period side of things as I have had the marina coil in for 6 yrs, had it changed last year, I had endometriosis for years and then bleeding really bad which turned out to be polyps on my cervix, so I had surgery to remove the polyps that's when they decided to put in the marina coil to help ease the endometriosis which it did.. so I was about 43yrs old when all that was happening, I'm 49 now and only been feeling this way for a couple of months, I eat healthy always have, plenty of fresh fruit, veggies oily fish, I'm a good weight 9 stone 7 pounds so I'd say I'm normal " well whatever normal is " even though I have the marina coil I have noticed bleeding sometimes and also Heavy brown discharge SORRY TO BE CRUDE... I have no idea why my doctor gave me a high dose straight away unless my hormone blood test came back low I'm just not sure, I keep looking at other threads on here and it helps knowing I'm not going insane, it helps to talk about it and get advice from others going through it too :)

Hi CLKD,  thankyou for the reply, I was kinda putting the bleeding down to the menopause as I have the coil but I'm not sure now, the doctor just said it's all normal with the coil and menopause, hope she wasn't just fobbing me off with that one, but I'll sure mention the possibility of the polyps re growing.. do you know how long you have to take the hrt before it takes effect ? The anxiety and tiredness are just awful, I feel like Iv had a personality transplant gone from happy and loving life to a emotional wreck !

It's not crude - discharges and bleeding are the stuff of this forum which is about women's experiences in all its glory!!!

If you had your Mirena coil changed without having any time without it and it had stopped your periods completely, then I wouldn't have thought you should necessarily experience new bleeding with the new one - unless of course your own hormone levels are changing due to menopause. I mean bleeding and spotting for the first 6-9 months after one has been fitted for the first time is common. However if you weren't menopausal when you started it then I can imagine  periods might break through a little at any time if oestrogen levels surge?

Have you been suffering from flushes and sweats? - When these disappear, this is the first indication that HRT is working and transdermal HRT (patches or gel) works very quickly. Premarin may take longer, or if you are still only early peri-menopause the dose may be too high - it is quite a strong oestrogen ( a mix of horse oestrogens) and you are on the high dose.  Also do ask for the results of your blood tests - what was measured - the receptionist should be able to tell you or you might be able to look them up yourself online?

Hope this helps - and do keep us posted as to how you are as time goes on.

Hurdity x