Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Morning blues  (Read 3409 times)

2cats

Morning blues
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:28:31 AM »

Morning all,

My morning blues have reappeared over the last few of months and I wondered if anyone else experiences a similar feeling on waking?
I'd shaken all that off but once again, my eyes open, and that heavy heart and slight edge of panic slides right back in again.

It's so annoying because there is no reason for it.  I enjoy my job and my life is good (obviously have all the usual ups and downs but I'm a happy person).

Interestingly, I had a very special day on Friday and on Saturday i woke up with a big smile on my face and the day after that I just woke up in a normal state.  Today is Monday and we're back in the old routine of unpleasant feelings.

Thankfully, once I get going, and/or get to work, it does wear off.  It will be interesting to see if the higher 75mcg makes a difference (see other thread).

I'd be interested to know if anyone else gets these symptoms? I don't recall being like this pre peri-meno...

:)

lorrapaw

Re: Morning blues
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »

I get that but i suffer from depression. But i must admit menopause has made it worse. Sometimes you just dread getting up.

daisie

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »

hi  2cats ..yes i get it bad soon as i wake in a morning the anxiety sets in iv had it some time now it doesnt get any easier for me .the horrible thoughts and feelings you get with it .it does seem to lift as the day goes on by night time i feel quite ok ..then its time for bed .only to wake and its all there again ,,i feel more real and normal in my dreams than in reality

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »

Oh those black early mornings, I would shake with fear …… ADs eased symptoms but sometimes I wake depressed.  It does pass after about an hour so I am no longer afraid that it won't go away.

Check you are eating enough late afternoon/early evening to keep blood sugar levels up as a sudden dip can cause early morning symptoms!

2cats

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:13:58 PM »

CLKD - we eat dinner quite late 7.30pm - 8pm and then i try not to snack again and then I can't eat anything 2 hours before i have to take my progesterone pill at bedtime so I'm hoping that my late dinner should keep my sugar levels up?

I've had a very productive day at work, buzzing around getting loads done and enjoying the day, and sitting here now, it's weird to think of myself as i was this morning (and probably will be tomorrow am), in a completely different state of mind.

What a strange transition the menopause is!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:12 PM »

Oh that's depression all over  >:(.  Anxiety takes over my Life sometimes, worse in the morning and as my commitments get sorted during the day by evening, I am totally a different person.  I have learned the hard way not to say 'yes' to anything in the evening 'cos by morning anxiety will have changed my mind for me  :-\.

How long into the day B4 you begin to feel 'OK-ish'?

Mojo61

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »

I'm really struggling at the moment with this too. Had it for almost a year now, every single morning. It used to be a lot worse before I started the citalopram, but it is still there in the background causing me misery and upset.

I can't remember what it was like to wake up "normal" anymore. It is soul destroying.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »

The acuteness does pass.  It is awful though.

2cats

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »

If it is any consolation Mojo61, mine did disappear for a while!  I'm not sure if I can pinpoint the reason for its reappearance...though I did have a stressful time in July when I backed out of a major career decision I'd made and I think it knocked my confidence - as in the months leading up to that decision, I'd been thinking 'Yes, the peri-meno/menopause has not beaten me - I will get my life back!'.  I was taking control and managing lots that had been difficult in pre hrt time when I struggled on, not knowing what was wrong.  Then when push came to shove, I couldn't do it - and I made myself ill with worry, anxiety, crying and sleeplessness.  To say I felt a right plonker, is an understatement!
Today I have woken up and remembered to say out loud - today is a good day and I will rejoice in it! And I will smile until I trick my brain into thinking otherwise!
CLKD - until I'm distracted so work does the trick.  I've found that Sunday mornings can be bad atm - I feel twitchy so just need to get on and do something physical like the gardening or I also put a relaxation cd on.

Babsm67

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »

Hi, I have got exactly the same problem and like you, 2cats I pulled out of training for a new job !ast week when the anxiety became overwhelming.  At the beginning of the previous week, I felt really positive but then I started taking Utrogestan, had three days of calm then my mood plummeted.  By the eighth day of taking it, my anxiety was so bad that I pulled out of the job & the following day I was an anxious, suicidal wreck.  My period started the following evening but the morning anxiety remains (now on day 4).  I now also feel extremely embarrassed for pulling out of the job, especially as my neighbour referred me.  I was still having periods every month but went onto hrt because of peri symptoms.  I saw gp last night and she has advised me to take diazapam short term and to ring the meno gp's secretary to make an appointment for a review.  All I know is, I cannot carry on like this - I want a normal life back even if it is a 'new' normal!

2cats

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »

OH what a shame MadBloss!  It's maddening isn't it? Sounds like really bad timing with your period.  I've often avoided taking Utrogestan because I know it's going to stuff up an event that I want to go to - ie I'll be grouchy, horrible period, anxious etc etc.  How I went back and faced my colleagues who all thought I was leaving, is beyond me!! 
I take diazepam when necessary and it's like a wonder drug for me.  I have no side effects, it just stops my mind racing and returns me to normal me.  Just 2.5mg is usually enough but I would have needed much more back in July so I think maybe I made the right decision!? Who knows?  The diazepam may just be the thing to give you a break mentally, and put you back on an even keel, rather than going deeper into anxiety and sadness. 
Good luck and let me know how you get on. :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »

If Valium etc. are used sensibly, they really do work.  For me they were a Life saver ;-).