Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hiya! Im 42 and I think I've started the change...  (Read 1510 times)

Greenie

Hiya! Im 42 and I think I've started the change...
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »

Hiya! Im Claire, and Im 42, and I have big suspicions that I've started my change.  I realise its quite early, but for the lat few years, I've had some pretty ominous symptoms.  It started with a few years of *really* heavy & painful and more frequent periods every 20 days, Im used to pain (I have arthritis) but these would have me in tears, with hubby rubbing my back, and I was begging to see a consultant to have a full hysterectomy as it was having such a massive impact on my life and I just couldnt understand why back then (of course I was told no and I was being silly), then they suddenly became very light, much to my delight, to the point I was only using maybe 3-4 tampons for the whole thing.  I also had an increase in migraine attacks from one that happened just before each period, to 1 a week (my GP prescribes Triptans) I've also been getting hot flushes & Insomnia.  Recently though, my periods have become very erratic, and a few months ago, I was due and had nothing more than a few spots, and then nothing, I finally started out of the blue about 2 weeks late, I had 2 fairly normal but light periods, and now Im sat here again, 2 weeks late again, last week I had really bad 'womb pain' yet nothing more than a few bits of brown 'old blood' then nothing again, the pain has gone, so has the spotting. My migraines have also calmed down again (thankfully!)

Background wise I have apparently got several lifestyle 'risk factors' in that I had both of my boys young, pregnant at 16 with #1 and again at 21 with son #2.  due to severe complications at that birth, I have been sterilised (cauterised and clipped tubes) when I was 24. I am also on the pudgy side, but health wise im in pretty good shape.  None of my friends are going through it so its hard to talk to anyone at the moment as they cant relate, My GP is essentially waving me off as im 42 and to "come back when you havent had a period for a year"  ???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hiya! Im 42 and I think I've started the change...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »

:welcomemm: your GP needs a  :kick:

Have a browse round the Forum.  Make notes.  You may like to drop into the Daisy web-site )details above(  ……

My Gynae goes on symptoms.  Many GPs still believe that unless a lady has hot flushes and no periods, they are not menopausal  >:(  ::)!

Those lifestyle 'risk' factors are probably old hat by now  ::).  Do you have a Practice Nurse or a GP who is interested in female problems?

Greenie

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »

Thankyou! I have been avidly taking notes, I actually came across this forum whilst googling symptoms and some old post from here came up describing exactly what was happening to me!

I dont really have a seperate Gynae, everything is done via my GP, Smears done by the practice nurses etc who are not trained or interested in anything other than getting the test done and you out the door as soon as possible.  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »

Hi Greenie and welcome

Sounds like you need to gather info from the ladies on here and write down what you'd like to try and then see your nicest/seeetest/most sympathetic GP and see how you get on

I was fobbed off for a few years then joined here and so now I go in with facts,my situation is slightly different but once they realise you've researched they do listen more x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »

I have read our Practice Web-site this afternoon [un-connected to MM Forum] and some of our Practice Nurses are highly qualified.  If a patient is in for a smear then that's it, the Nurse is un-likely to be interested in other problems, however ……

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:54:53 PM »

Hi Greenie

:welcomemm:

Your doctor is disgraceful for waving you away and telling you to come back when you are post-menopausal ( ie no periods for a year) - as that could be several years away yet!

What you describe are the classic signs leading up to peri-menopause - in the late reproductive stage cycles get shorter and pms can get worse as hormonal changes begin. Once you have missed periods and they regularly vary by more than about 7 days and you are getting menopausal symptoms, then this is an indication that you are starting on the menopausal journey.

The NICE Guidelines on Menopause state:

"Consider using a FSH test to diagnose menopause only:

in women aged 40 to 45 years with menopausal symptoms, including a change in their menstrual cycle"

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/Recommendations#diagnosis-of-perimenopause-and-menopause

Therefore your doctor should order blood tests ideally on Day 3 -5 of your cycle. If s/he is doing his/her job properly you should also have baseline tests to see if there is anything else to account for your symptoms especially thyroid function tests. Please go back and if necessary to a different GP.

What are you hoping as the outcome - eg would you like HRT to regulate your cycle and reduce flushes, or are you just looking for re-assurance at this stage that  you are definitely peri-menopausal?

Hurdity x