Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Surprise prescription charge!  (Read 6849 times)

Hollysmum

Surprise prescription charge!
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »

Good morning all!  I have just got my very first lot of HRT, and, having told the doctor that, if it were men who had to have such things, they would be free (I was trying to have just a little chuckle with him!) was rather astounded to be told by the pharmacist that it was in fact two items, and that I would therefore have to pay £16.80.  Forgive me for feeling a little outraged by this, because my patches came in just one small package, six Phase 1 patches and six Phase 2 patches.  How on earth does the Government/NHS/whoever get away with this?  I understand that the Phase 2 patches contain a slightly different concoction from the Phase 1, and that this is probably how they get away with it, the argument being that it is two different "medications", but overall, the package constitutes just one course of treatment.   I don't doubt that very many of you in Menopause Matters would consider it £16.80 very well spent for the relief of whatever symptoms you have, but I still can't help feeling that this is a bit of a manipulation of the prescription rules.  Rant over, I am really looking forward to being (hopefully) hot flush and aching bones free in the near future - first patch applied last night.   :)

Nina

Re: Surprise prescription charge!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »

Yes it's because there are 2 different drugs. Prescriptions are charged per item.

Remember though that even if your patches cost the NHS £200 or more to buy you would still only pay £16.80

You can get a pre payment card which works out at £10.40 a month for 10 months dd which covers all your prescriptions.

Good luck with them  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »

Yep, health can be expensive. I have had life long asthma that has been life threatening on occasions. Medication for asthma is not free, though it is free for some life threatening conditions. However, if I had to pay the full cost of medication, sometimes several items. I don't know how I would managed. I had a prepayment certificate, which I had a direct debit, so that I could spread the cost. It meant I didn't have to worry about how items were prescribed. Now I am over 60, my prescriptions are free, for which I am very grateful. Sadly the NHS is strapped for cash.

My son now lives in the USA and the cost of medical insurance is prohibiting, as is the cost of medication.

I may have struggled with finding the money to pay for prescriptions, but I didn't resent it. I'm alive thanks to the NHS. Long may the NHS continue....somehow.

You can check the true cost of HRT on this website if you look at HRT preparation.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »

Yes - there are a few drugs like this - where you have two different preparations in the same packet.  I know there are some heart pills.  These are counted as two items.

Bizarrely, I get 48 vagifem (2 packets) and pay one charge for this - although my husband was on several packets of prednisolone per prescription and it would have been madness to pay separately for each packet - we had to buy his first prescription privately and they were very cheap.  My charges seem to cover the cost nicely.

I never quite need enough prescriptions to pre-pay.  You can get a 3 month one, use it for that prescription and then the next, and it just about works out cheaper if you get the timing right.

In our local pharmacy, there is a notice about prescription fees only covering one stocking  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41:21 AM »

Years ago a Prescription was that: it didn't matter how many items were written on it. Then the Government cottoned on!

Once you get to 60 it will be free ……..  ;)

As for 1 stocking  ;D - what happens if one is disabled  :-\ would that be seen as '…. gist …. '

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »

Years ago a Prescription was that: it didn't matter how many items were written on it. Then the Government cottoned on!

Once you get to 60 it will be free ……..  ;)

As for 1 stocking  ;D - what happens if one is disabled  :-\ would that be seen as '…. gist …. '
  or if you have a condition which qualifies for free prescriptions. I have never had to pay for mine.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »

Yes it does come as a shock when you first find out Hollysmum! Hopefully though you have enough for 3 months on one prescription? Sounds like it could be Femseven?

I may have struggled with finding the money to pay for prescriptions, but I didn't resent it. I'm alive thanks to the NHS. Long may the NHS continue....somehow.

Well said Ju Ju!!!

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »

My surgery prescribe me 3 months of patches for 1 prescription charge x

flossie fiddler

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »

I had the same shock with my first ever 3 months supply of Evorel Sequi. I went straight home and bought a pre pay as there were some asthma inhalers needed fairly soon too, then went back in to pay for my prescription.  >:D well worth getting a prepay cert

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 07:13:31 AM »

I had the same shock with my first ever 3 months supply of Evorel Sequi. I went straight home and bought a pre pay as there were some asthma inhalers needed fairly soon too, then went back in to pay for my prescription.  >:D well worth getting a prepay cert

I do that too, every so often asthma nurse prescribed me new spacers for inhalers then reminds me to go get my prepay card before putting prescription in x

walking the dog

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »

I pre pay too its well worth it even though i now have mirena so only need estradoit part of the hrt on  prescription but I also get vagifem , sylk and cream for my ear eczema. I also agree with you juju "long may the NHS continue "
Xx