Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone managed to shutdown cycle with patch/gel?  (Read 5540 times)

jasper

Has anyone managed to shutdown cycle with patch/gel?
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »

Sorry I know that I've asked about this in the past. I had a regular cycle on 75 Evorel without added prog. and so was moved to Zoely bcp which I'm struggling to stick with due to side effects.

I need to stabilise hormone levels and stop fluctuations😟. Has anyone still regular/early peri actually managed to switch cycle off with transdermal at 100mg plus a la Studd?

Feeling really desperate😩 Thanks

flufferama

Re: Has anyone managed to shutdown cycle with patch/gel?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »

jasper I've no advice but as someone about to ask for the BCP, I'm a bit scared. What side effects have you had, have you been on Zoely for long?

jasper

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »

Hi there, I've been on Zoely for 9 days but having problems with bad bloating, reflux and stomach pain. Also a bit weepy and feel flatter than on Evorel but I realise that's the sudden influx of progesterone. I already suffer from bad headaches/migraines and a lot of  non hormonal stuff so just can't cope with stomach problems on top. Need to stop hormone fluctuations and trying to stick it out but.....

flufferama

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 08:35:43 PM »

I'm sorry you're having those issues. Hopefully someone will come along with some advice soon.

Briony

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 09:47:27 AM »

I tried, but even on 100mcg patches, I still ovulated and had crazy fluctuations. I topped it up with gel as well, so nearer 150mcg patch, but  it still wasnt  consistent. I came to the conclusions that I dont absorb patches as well as a tablet. I eventually switched to a low dose contraceptive pill (taken with no break)  which was strong enough to control/suppress my system. For me, HRT was never strong enough to do this.

jasper

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 02:26:13 PM »

Thank you Briony, I've since read a few of your posts incl the ones on the Qlaira thread. It's very hard to know what to do when hitting problems with the bcp so quickly. I'm already chronically ill with Lyme and so my tolerance for side effects is probably lower than normal. Aside from specifics like new stomach pain and flushing that wasn't there before, I just generally feel much more tired and iller and so I dont know where to draw the line😕
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:45:59 PM by jasper »

Briony

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

Is sympathise with the fatigue. Initially mine was so bad I was scanned for MS. The only thing that has helped mine is totally suppressing my cycle, but I have only achieved this through Qliara. Patches just didnt seem to absorb. I did wonder if continuous Utrogestan (which I had, despite still having periods, as I couldnt tolerate 200mg for 12 days - had horrible slump aftertwards) with a 2mg pill would be a way forward for me (ie an alternative to the patches whilst still avoiding synthetic progesterone).

jasper

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »

Thank you Briony. Did you feel more tired when first starting Qlaira? I was also wondering if taking it at bedtime might work better in terms of side effects?

donnacrichton

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:47:39 PM »

I could not supress my system with any hrt so started an implant of zolidex. I would have few weeks being fine then would get an estrogen surge setting me back again. Conclusion was even zolidex hadn't shut me down as poor absorbtion of the implant. I am now on a nasal spray called buserelin this has definitely shut my system down but after months still trying to get an hrt ti a steady dose. I really sympathise some times I thought I was going mad. My best option is to remove ovaries. I am aware this is very drastic but so has the last 4 years been. I really hope you get help and keep asking until you do. I have been lucky and have an amazing consultant. Wishing you every luck xxx

Briony

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »

I did have bouts of fatigue which I blamed on Qlaira, but looking back, it was just that it took a few months to take over my own system, so the initial fatigue  was just my own system playing up at random times (as it had done for the previous few years). I think month four or five was the first (in several years) with no fatigue at all. I do still get it, totally randomly, but nothing like I did pre Qlaira. I have always taken it in the evening, but side effects were never immediate (none for 8 days) so I dont think it matters what time you take it as long as it's the same time every day.

jasper

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »

Thanks Donnacrichton - glad you have found something that works for you.

Heartening to hear Briony :-) It is very hard for me to know which of my symptoms are hormonal (incl thyroid which is also playing up) and which are the lyme.  Desperately hoping that the hormones are at least responsible for a good part of it, as they are probably easier to sort unfortunately. Can I ask of you had a problem with headaches pre Qlaira?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:38:07 PM by jasper »

jasper

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »

Briony, sorry me again. Was just re reading your comments as feeling pretty dire! Is it true that it can take a few months for the pill to suppress your own system? Is this why we are told to wait 3 months? My migraines/ headaches are worse at the moment if anything but of course I'm only 12 days in. Did you have headaches before the pill at all, or as a side effect? Massive thanks

Ms Saucy

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:08:50 PM »

Hi there.
My pal has Fibromyalgia and I think she has started something to suppress her menstruation......I know it's a combined HRT but not sure what xx

jasper

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 04:28:44 AM »

Thanks Ms Saucy
Would be interested to hear what she is using. Hope it works for her - I have alot of fibro symptoms too.

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 02:51:25 PM »

Mrs saucy ii would.love to know what she takes too as I have fibro too and its is kicking my ass atm! I am on four Pumps of oesteogen fel and utesgesterone 200mg for 7 days vaginally. Do t thin it is suppressing my cycle at all. Pretty sure I am still ovulation.  Been on  this since june and fatique anxiety and jount pain really atent any better. Thinking of the pill now x im done already with this. Two yrs of hell
Pages: [1] 2