Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Can't fall asleep  (Read 12350 times)

Peroxideblader

Can't fall asleep
« on: October 08, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »

Hello...I've posted before as I'm pretty sure all my health issues in the last 3 years I now know are due to peri and hope to start hrt soon..my doctor offered me elleste duet but I'm going to ask to start on femoston after advice on here..my question is..on the posts I've read with regard to insomnia in majority of cases people can fall asleep no problem but wake very early but I'm the other way round..for over 3 years now I go to bed around 1130 and after up and down reading it's not til around 3 or 4 am I get to sleep...I'm so tired when I go to bed but it's like my body is wired and the off switch has broken..has anyone found hrt helps them to go to sleep as this is the main reason doctor suggested going on it..the other issues are debilitating but liveable but this constant lack of sleep has made me mentally and physically very ill..thanks ( tried all other sleep cures and life changes and pills nothing helps)

walking the dog

Re: Can't fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »

Have you tried relaxation techniques? I'm doing mindfulness in bed every night listening to it on headphones and I'm out before the end even though its not meant to make you sleepy! If your over 55 you can ask your GP to prescribe you natural serotonin which is meant to help my GP told me but I'm too young you can also buy it over the counter in some European countries but not here sadly

Ms Saucy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »

Hi there.
Can I ask if you read your book in bed? I ask as my counselor asked me it once......bed he said is just for sleep, if you wish to read it should be sitting in a chair and not in bed at all. It worked for me as did putting lavender in a carry oil and rubbing into the soles of my feet.....it's absorbed that way...
Ms Saucy xx

Peroxideblader

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »

Hi I'm only 47 but my doctors won't prescribe melatonin anyway sadly.  And yes tried the mindful technique the cds the cbt acupuncture hypnotism..nothing..I know it's because either some level of hormone is missing at night or I have an influx of it..thanks though 😊

Peroxideblader

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »

Hi Ms saucy..no I try to get to sleep then if after about 20 minutes if I'm still awake I get up go into the snug and read then back to bed..usually about 3 to 4 hours of this up and down..bed is for sleep like therapist said..I've tried going to bed at 2 am but still can't fall asleep even though my eyelids can't stay open..😌

Peroxideblader

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 06:43:30 PM »

:(

flufferama

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »

:( at the moment I'm using dipenhydramine (it's in Unisom, Benadryl and Panadol Night).
When I was insane with insomnia with PND I was given Olanzapine, which would knock out a horse. But it's an antipsychotic and a heavy med.
It does work though.  :(

soniad

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »

Hi Peroxidebladder,

I am 49, in perimenopause and my only symptom is insomnia.

Before starting HRT Sometimes I would have early morning waking (sleep maintenance), other times I would find it very hard to fall asleep (sleep onset). Both were due to hormone fluctuations and HRT has helped settle this for me.

I have been taking HRT for just over 2 months now and my sleep has improved significantly.

Take care

nothappybun

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:48:58 PM »

I know what it is like, too, insomnia was my first symptom and It wasn't only waking up in the middle of the night. It started three years ago, when I was PM I had episodes where I just couldn't get to sleep, I was tired, exhausted and just started worrying about any little thing without importance for no reason when I went to bed and ended up getting up going over all the things I had to do and solve. In the morning, things didn't seem so bad and laughed at myself wasting my whole night suffering. Then, last year I just stated waking up at 4 or 5 am and just couldn't get back to sleep, for no reason. It stopped completely while I was on Qlaira and is back now I am on hrt. Last night I didn't get an hour's sleep. Feel so exhausted and low. I try taking magnesium that worked in the past before my periods started shortening and when I missed my first one summer 2015. Now while on hrt doesn't seem to work. In the last two weeks I've only had 3 or five night's sleep out of exhaustion!
Hugs xxx

Dana

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 12:15:06 AM »

Hi Peroxide

Yes, the total inability to sleep was my worst meno symptom. I would get so frustrated by people telling me to read a book, learn how to meditate, practice "sleep hygiene" (which is a crock as far as I'm concerned when you are suffering hormonal insomnia) etc. I tried just about every remedy (lavender, melatonin, over the counter remedies etc). All the people who offered all this advice have obviously never truly experienced what it's like to be totally unable to sleep. I hated hearing about people who would complain of "insomnia", when they could easier fall asleep but the poor dears just woke up early, or maybe woke a few times through the night. At least those people got some sleep, even if it was a few hours.

HRT saved my life - literally. My depression and anxiety were so bad from insomnia that I honestly had suicidal thoughts. Obviously I can't tell you that it will solve all your problems, but it certainly solved mine. My fear of the insomnia returning is the main reason why I'm really reluctant to ever stop taking HRT. I can live with any other symptom, but insomnia is a no-go zone for me.

soniad

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 01:12:15 AM »

I would get so frustrated by people telling me to read a book, learn how to meditate, practice "sleep hygiene" (which is a crock as far as I'm concerned when you are suffering hormonal insomnia)

Yes, when it's a hormonal problem none of that other stuff makes any difference.

elsie001

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »

Insomnia was my worst symptom in peri too.  I'd go to bed exhausted after 9 hours work & would be totally unable to fall asleep.  Getting up to do another 9 hours after 0 hours sleep was torturous.  As a results I did so many silly mistakes at work and my confidence totally plummeted.

My 2nd worst symptom was very heavy periods, so I had the mirena coil fitted.  Somehow the progesterone in the coil had a sedating effect which was wonderful so I only get the odd sleepless night now, thank goodness.

I eventually managed to change my hours at work & now just do 3 afternoons.  I think, for me, worrying about the alarm going off soon didn't help my insomnia at all.  Since my working hours changed, I can set my alarm for a much more reasonable time & that's only to make sure my 16 year old has got up for school! I now have the luxury of going back to bed after that if I want to!

Peroxideblader

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »

Thanks so much for your encouraging replies..like a few have said people don't realise the depth of the insomnia in peri it's no good spouting the usual hot chocolate read a book etc it's life changing and has pushed me to the edge..I am lucky if I get 4 hours sleep and has been over 3 years now..I have severe depression and wanted to end my life ..I am trying to stay positive but tiredness wipes put all happy feelings I'm on zopiclone as ny doctors knew how ill I was..I only take quarter of a tablet which enables me to have some sleep rather than literally none. I know how addictive it is which is why I don't take the full dose..I will certainly try hrt I think I have to before a lose my family and partner...can I just ask people who have posted to tell me in peri stage what hrt helped them to sleep as I'll be going on femoston purely because I've been told it's the kinder progesterone..thank you 😊

Peroxideblader

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »

I meant to say I can't take any sleep aids or antihistamine as they give me restless legs all night so sadly benadryl etc are no good..

elsie001

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »

As I said in my earlier post, I'm 50, peri, and have the mirena coil for hrt purposes.  I don't need it for contraception as OH had the snip many years ago!  I was also prescribed oestrogen gel but every time I've used it, the insomnia has come back so I can only assume my body is still producing enough oestrogen at this moment in time.

Don't beat yourself up about taking Zopiclone.  I have a small 'in case of emergency break glass' supply of 3.75mg Zopiclone which I probably take twice a month when my own hormones spike and insomnia returns or if I wake at 3am and realise that one of my teenage kids isn't home yet!  If something gets my adrenaline gets going, sleep is impossible without some help!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4