Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What have you told your daughters?  (Read 6072 times)

Jenn-9

Re: What have you told your daughters?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 02:24:54 AM »

I have 5 daughters and I've been really transparent with all of them. Once I realized it was perimenopause and that I wasn't going insane, I talked with all of them. They've seen me really struggle this past year with sudden anxiety and terrible panic. They've all loved me through it and been there for me. I really hope they don't suffer this way but I know that probably won't be the case. I'm following my mom to a T!

Maryjane

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:42 AM »

My three daughters are fully aware of VA , as mine is pretty bad and would hate them to suffer in the same way , so hope for warned is for armed.

They have asked me to write down what has helped me , and are definitely not burying there heads in the sand.

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »

I have 5 daughters and I've been really transparent with all of them. Once I realized it was perimenopause and that I wasn't going insane, I talked with all of them. They've seen me really struggle this past year with sudden anxiety and terrible panic. They've all loved me through it and been there for me. I really hope they don't suffer this way but I know that probably won't be the case. I'm following my mom to a T!

Hi Jenn-9

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Jenn-9

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »

Thanks for the welcome! I'm across the ocean in Canada! I don't feel new here at all..I've been reading and following for a year now. It's really nice to see how you ladies all get on in the UK compared to us Canadian lot. Makes me feel connected, even if it's all this meno business that does it :)

Keepgoing

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »

My mum was about 50 when I noticed the flushes and I would laugh at how red her face went I was only 15, also noticed she would fly off the handle a lot which was not like her. She did not suffer it tho she went to the docs and was put on prempak c, this was 30 years ago. The change in her on hrt was amazing she was much more confident and happy this is why I'm not afraid of hrt as my mum really benefited from it. The hrt was enough for her she never had va. I thought I would be about the same age when I went into it but I was 41 and sadly my mum died when I was 26. I have no children but I do have a niece who is just turning 12 and has had her periods for 6 months she already knows I am on hrt as we were all on holiday and I had to put my gel on and I explained to her why and told her one day she may need it...she just said oh great and laughed. I don't see it as something to hide my nephew was with us to he's 14 and didn't bother either. I would tell them if they gave me cheek I'd get my gel and put it on them...as a joke...and make him more feminine, they would just laugh as they know I'm a dafty and wouldn't.  In no way have I hid anything and if this helps them in their futures then that's a good thing xx

walking the dog

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »

Love your attitude keepgoing its exactly my approach with my son I have always been the same with him I never hid my tampons etc and explained things to him in terms he could grasp for his age. He asked why I was at hospital on Tuesday and I openly told him why without the graphic details of course !

Puffin Mama

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »

Hi ladies  :)

Very interesting thread as my daughter is 12 and although she hasn't started her periods yet, she is certainly having the hormonal swings!  We are very close and when I started feeling really rough a couple of years ago - dreadful anxiety, feeling 'spaced out' - and realised that it must be the start of the menopause,  I did explain to her what was going on and that it would pass. (Those symptoms thankfully have got much better although can't say the same for the physical ones!  >:( )    I said to her then that when her hormones started changing, she might feel a bit strange sometimes or have funny moods and that I would always understand as I know what games hormones can play.  I was appalled by the thought of adolescence and menopause under one roof ('fireworks every day' as my best friend put it  ??? ) but in fact,  I think it has helped me to sympathise with my daughter when she feels upset/angry/'weird', as I know exactly what she means! 
My mother never discussed the menopause or even mentioned it to me until I started mine and then her comments were along the lines of 'I never had all these problems with mine, you must be very unlucky' (very comforting, thanks ;D ). When I mentioned this to my very nice female GP, she made a rather dismissive noise and said she's sure older women just forget all the horrible symptoms they had!   Mind you,  my mother didn't do the 'period talk' very well either - I was left with the impression that I would only require 1 tampon for my entire period  ;D
I don't think I've frightened my daughter by talking to her about it, she is too young for it to have any real relevance at the moment but hopefully she has seen that there are ways to deal with things and that you do come out the other side.  Now if any of you with older daughters could tell me when the mood swings and rudeness might stop (hers, not mine!), I'd be most grateful  8)
Puffin x
Pages: 1 [2]