Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 1952 times)

Daftun

Mirena coil
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »

Hi I had the mirena coil fitted 5 years ago for heavy periods I was 49 after about 10 months it settled down and was fine ,I didn't have a period apart from the very odd but of spotting . Anyway I had it removed 7 months earlier as I felt like I was getting water infections and burning sensations.  After having it removed this settled again and then suddenly 9 months later I had sore Breasts etc and a proper period which lasted a week. Is this normal after having the coil taken out?. Oh and i still get the burning heavy feelings and feel as if i need to go to the toilet frequently  had tests and no infections so i assume this is just a symptom of menopause .Thanks in advance.

Tinkerbell

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

It sounds like the beginning of VA if you are getting the burning/ frequent loo trips. You need some  Vagifem or Ovestin, do not leave it, get started on it asap...it will get worse if left.
Sorry can't help with the other issues.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »

Daftun - welcome to MM
When you had the Mirena fitted you were probably peri meno and the peri stage can last many years. After you had the Mirena removed did you have blood tests done to see what your FSH and oestrogen levels were?
The bleed you have had may well be your ovaries having a last gasp but you should pop to the GP, as a scan to check your womb lining is probably a good idea for peace do mind. The peri meno stage can go on for some time and at 54 you may not be into post meno yet.

Tinkerbell is right - this burning and heavy feeling was probably nothing to do with the Mirena but more to do with the lack of oestrogen.  Urogenital atrophy is common when meno hits - this will cause vaginal dryness and UTI type symptoms and we also become more prone to bladder and vaginal infections as a result of oestrogen deficiency.  Ask the GP for Vagifem and probably keep using it for the rest of your life. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »

Hi Daftun - as Dancinggirl has said. The Mirena can stop periods well before menopause so the period you experienced is most likely because you are not post-menopausal. personally I would not be worried at all about this as it is less than a year after the Mirena was removed so would be classed as a normal period. It is bleeding after 12 months without a normal period that needs checking - and lack of periods on Mirena do not count as part of this. You might like to consider HRT as you are not yet at the average age of menopause of 51/52 so your bones and heart will get extra years of protection, and this will also help with vaginal/bladder symptoms  - although local oestrogen is also the best way to target this area, often needed in addition to full HRT.

Hurdity x