Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil and oestrogen  (Read 3084 times)

Dollydream

Mirena coil and oestrogen
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »

Hi ladies,

So the story so far is, I'm 51 started HRT in December for flushes and aches and pains and was put on combined HRT which caused persistent bleeding, so after 4-5 months I came off, had a break then started Femoston sequi 1/10 and am in my 5th month of taking this.  I am finding that in the oestrogen phase, from about tablet 4 to 14 I am feeling quite light headed and at first I thought it was me being anaemic after the scheduled period which I found quite heavy.  So, went to the GP had blood tests which came back fine.  Whilst speaking to the GP for the blood test results, I mentioned that the light headedness seemed to go when I start the progesterone phase and I wondered whether getting the mirena fitted and taking oestrogen separately was a good option.  She said it was my call and if that's what I wanted, she would be happy to arrange it and for me to research and think about it and give her a call if I decided to go down that route.

So I am now trying to get advice on the oestrogen side, as the GP is likely to prescribe the cheapest option unless I suggest otherwise (and she has told me to go away and research after all ;D).  Any suggestions, don't mind patches or pills.

Thanks   DollyD x

Tinkerbell

Re: Mirena coil and oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:06:03 PM »

I have a Mirena and use Estrogel, I did start with Estradot but had reactions to the adhesive, but I am even like that with plasters, so they may cause you no issues, they are very small too.
At your age, sorry! hope that doesn't offend you and I am a similar age ;)
I would go for a transdermal route as they are considered safer.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:46:14 PM »

Having had a Mirena coil with patches myself, I would suggest you try using Oestrogel because it is more flexible and it's easy to adjust the dose very quickly if you need to.  I didn't get enough oestrogen out of the patches and they didn't stick properly.  I wish I had tried the Mirena/gel regime but can't risk it now because of migraines. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:37:05 PM »

MaryG....Yes the Estrogel is working better for me...six weeks in, so far so good, still keeping fingers crossed though!

Dollydream

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »

Thanks ladies for your advice here - most appreciated.  :)

Ms Saucy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »

Hi
I've had a mirena for two years and Oestrogen by mouth for the same time. Worked fine for me. Now off Oestrogen and mirena remains.
Hugs Ms Saucy xx