Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi Everyone!  (Read 1909 times)

Spiegelei

Hi Everyone!
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

Hi - I'm nearly 54 and have been suffering with all kinds of symptoms for about 8 years now - started with panic attacks, then night sweats and just about every other thing that could possible happen to a perimenopausal woman!  My doctor told me I was too young for HRT and would only prescribe anti-depressants, as I wasn't depressed I didn't take them.  I haven't had a period for 10 months so will be officially in menopause soon.

I'm fed up of feeling weird, not sleeping properly and always tired.  I've become a recluse and rarely see anyone or leave the house now.  I suffer with anxiety most days and a weird discomfort under my left breast that no one seems to know what is causing it (not the heart as that's been checked out).  It sets the anxiety off every time so end up in and out of the loo until it stops which is usually after I burst into tears for no reason.  I've been diagnosed with lichens sclerosis of the vulva which is making my life more of a misery as it is itchy as hell and the benovate doesn't seem to do anything.  Everything seems to be mutating!

I think about dying all the time - it's so stupid - I'm too scared of dying but am also too scared to live.  :'( 

I'm feeling very 'woe is me' at the moment.  I want my life back!

lily

Re: Hi Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »

Hi spiegelei
We have quite a but in common re-last period, age and I was also diagnosed with lichen sclerosis! It was about 8 years ago now and I was prescribed dermol to wash with and dermovate to use as and when. That seems to mostly keep it under control for me with just occasional flare up. I am on AD's which do strangely enough help a bit with night sweats, not so much with the hot flushes. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time coping, maybe you should try AD's? I did not feel depressed but dr said they can help with night sweats and sleep and that they also help menopausal mood swings which I've not really suffered from (possibly due to them?) Worth trying. Take care x

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »

:welcomemm: Spiegelei So sorry you are having a rough time. You will find sympathy and empathy on this site. Health anxiety is common I had a really bad time several months ago with it. I started with meno symptoms at the same age as you did, went back on the pill for 2 years and then took HRT for 16 years, stopped two and a half weeks ago. I would go back and ask the GP about HRT I preferred patches. I definitely don't regret taking it. Maybe some of the other members can give some HRT advice or have a look on the link so you are informed when you go to the doctors
Flutterbyx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »

Hi Speigelei

:welcomemm:

How dare your doctor say that to you and cause you to suffer such misery? Anti-depressants indeed! Good for you for not taking them as you weren't depressed. Although as lily says some brands do work for hot flushes they are absolutely not meant to be given to women for menopausal symptoms. HRT is the first line of treatment. Your doctor should have been more vigilant. There is no such thing as being too young for HRT - there are some unfortunate young women who go through very early menppause in their 20'and some in their 30's. It sounds like you were the normal age to start getting symptoms. As soon as you started skipping periods regularly HRT would have been the best thing for you. IT STILL IS!!!!

Please please go the doc as flutterby says and ask for HRT. You are a classic case for it! See if there is a different doc in your practice who is sympathetic towards menopausal women and also knowledgeable about HRT.

If you look at the top tabs ( green banner) - under Treatments/HRT preparations they are all listed. You will need to start a sequential one which gives withdrawal bleed. Even though you may well decide to go onto a continuous combined (no-bleed) HRT in a few months - it's best to start with a sequential one ( ie approx two weeks of oestrogen followed by 2 weeks of oestrogen + progestogen) so that you can see which elements of the HRT suit you best.

If you are OK with tablets then Femoston 1/10 would be a good one to start as it is well tolerated (it also comes as continuous combined no-bleed). Alternatively you could try a patch such as Evorel sequi or Femseven.

Re the vulval problems - this is also shocking - even if the doc did not give HRT you should have been prescribed some local oestrogen which might have prevented this from happening. Look at the menu above for vaginal problems and treatments - you will need local oestrogen such as estriol cream or Vagifem as well as HRT. If you condition is severe then it may take some time to alleviate. There are several women on here also with severe vaginal atrophy problems and will have all sorts of recommendations for you as well as what lily has suggested but you defo need local oestrogen.

Please seek medical help and do persist - and let us know how you get on - any more questions please ask and we will all try to help :). You will get your life back very soon if you go and get some HRT - you do not need to suffer.

Hurdity x

Spiegelei

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:05 PM »

Thank you all so much for your wise words and suggestions.  I had a rare good day today and it was so nice to feel relatively normal.  I have been reading the site and making notes and will definitely be heading back to the doctor - it might be easier to argue a case when I know what I am talking about!

Thanks again  :)

flutterby

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »

Hi Spiegelei pleased you had a good day, you definitely sound more positive. Let us know how you get on. Good luck with your doctor Flutterbyx