Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Gut problems on combined pill or oral HRT???  (Read 1427 times)

jasper

Gut problems on combined pill or oral HRT???
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »

Anyone had a problem with this? Within 36hrs of starting Zoely I have reflux, bloating and general IBS type stomach ache  and worried it's not a side effect that will settle in time? Just tried to email my consultant and she's away til end of October!

thanks

dahliagirl

Re: Gut problems on combined pill or oral HRT???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »

Anything with progesterone/gen in it slows my gut transition time by about 3 days, as it relaxes smooth muscle.  So probably the total opposite problem to you  ::) so I eat loads of fibre, and laxatives  ;D

I know a lot of people swear by FODMAP for IBS.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »

When taking most HRTs, it is good to take it with food - Utrogestan is the only exception to this as it must be taken on an empty stomach.
I think the body will react in different ways to hormones - some find it settles things like IBS so I'd persevere, eat small amounts often and avoid high fat or anything you know triggers your IBS and reflux. Perhaps take the HRT in the morning but don't take any supplements at the same time.  DG x

jasper

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »

thanks Dancinggirl and Dahlia girl, I will try to stick it out! The thing is I didn't have gut problems til I started the pill - no reflux or ibs. It was so bad today I had to take an omeprazole that I found at the back of the medicine cabinet - not something I want to do regularly. Now I feel so much better..   Will just have to hope it settles down.