Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New GP new advice  (Read 1320 times)

Stillsearching

New GP new advice
« on: October 03, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »

5 weeks ago I decided to take a break from HRT. I wasn't confident with the advice being given by my GP and had been told that I could just stop. My regime had been changed every 3 months since last November, I was bleeding constantly and there didn't seem to be any  idea from GP of what was going on. For the past 4 weeks since stopping the tablets I haven't had a proper night's sleep due to the  awful night sweats and other symptoms are starting to reappear.

This morning I've been for my first appointment at a new surgery. The GP seems very knowledgeable, has straight away referred me to the menopause clinic and booked me in for a full gynae check up (whatever that is I've never had one before) She said my body has been flooded with too much oestrogen and the bounce could take a while.

She said that HRT advice has changed again and that tablet form is no longer advised for over 60 (I'm 59) She's suggested Black cohosh to deal with the flushes and sweats and has said that I should give it another month before deciding whether to restart HRT, by which time I might have been to the clinic. If I do restart it will be on patches.

It wasn't what I'd expected but at last I feel that I'm dealing with someone who knows what they're doing. I'm off now to get some Black Cohosh, and do my pelvic floor exercises.

I wish I'd changed GP sooner.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New GP new advice
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »

You are 59.  So there is no need to defer HRT ! which can be used for Life if necessary.

Black cohash has to be used carefully, did she read out the warning list?  Probably not.  Why does she suggest waiting a month if HRT helped previously???

Making a list of your symptoms and keeping a mood/food diary might help.

Stillsearching

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »

I took in a list of the prescriptions I've had, all of which have resulted in bleeding. I also told her the symptoms I'm having now. She said I had been given too much oestrogen and she wants me to go to the menopause clinic to be checked out for 'nasties'. i.e. any other reason for the bleeding. It's been almost 12 months since I had an HRT regime which suited me. Since then I feel like I've been a failed experiment for my previous GP. At the moment I'm happy to follow her advice she seems to be on the ball. She thinks that 5 weeks is too soon to know whether the symptoms will improve by themselves and that in another month I'll have a better idea.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »

Let us know how you get on!